Mooring Advice

gretehct

I am going to moor my just acquired 1993 Capri 14.2 ... 200 acre lake. Would appreciate recommendations as to what to use for an anchor. Looking at a couple things on the web and talking to someone in West Marine it appears that a mushroom anchor is the way to go ... do you agree? If so, how heavy should it be? Thanks for the help!

I am going to moor my just acquired 1993 Capri 14.2 ... 200 acre lake. Would appreciate recommendations as to what to use for an anchor. Looking at a couple things on the web and talking to someone in West Marine it appears that a mushroom anchor is the way to go ... do you agree? If so, how heavy should it be? Thanks for the help!

I'm sure others here will advise you on anchors, but I have to ask, why don't you construct a simple mooring buoy? I made one out of a concrete deck footing, put an eye bolt in it and attached chain with rope above tied to a cheap mooring float. It is much easier on you boat not to store an anchor while playing on the lake.

I'm sure others here will advise you on anchors, but I have to ask, why don't you construct a simple mooring buoy? I made one out of a concrete deck footing, put an eye bolt in it and attached chain with rope above tied to a cheap mooring float. It is much easier on you boat not to store an anchor while playing on the lake.

Thanks .. was not going to store on the boat ... was going to put the mushroom anchor (find one on Craigslist) in the lake and shackle the chain to it, with a rope then a mooring buoy. Your idea of the concrete is good, simpe, and easy.

a lot depends on the lake bottom. That alone determines the type and weight of the mooring anchor.
Hard Sandy bottom means an easy drag so you need it to be heavier.
A Muddy bottom will allow the anchor to sink into the mud and become "stuck" which is what you want.

Myself...I happened to have a 24" section of Railroad track that I used and it works beautifully on a muddy bottom.

The next step is to make sure you use proper chain.

1 length of very heavy chain (equal to 1 1/2 time the depth) and attached to that, 1 length of lighter chain (1/2 the weight of the heavy chain and the depth of the water at high tide that will extend up to the buoy

Here is a good reference guide.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...oreId=11151&page=Mooring-Systems#.UhLfYj-XPms

mushroom anchors work on muddy bottoms. for hard bottoms use a concrete block. 150 pounds will be fine if the area is at all protected. if totally open to the wind, use 300 pounds. use chain (double the length of the depth of water) to connect the boat to the anchor. use rope to attach the chain to the float or buoy.

Back