Modifying a laser II for asymmetric spinnaker

juddanders

i'm interested in modifying a Laser II for flying an asymmetric spinnaker with a retractable bowsprit. anyone know of any pics of any laser II's that have had this done? i've currently been sailing an International 14 that i love, but i can't single-hand it. it's too much sail area for one person to right. i'm hoping to single-hand a Laser II and modify it with the above sails, probably switching to a furling jib also. any comments or suggestions would be helpful. thanks, judd riverotter95 @ msn.com

juddanders said:
i'm interested in modifying a Laser II for flying an asymmetric spinnaker with a retractable bowsprit. anyone know of any pics of any laser II's that have had this done? i've currently been sailing an International 14 that i love, but i can't single-hand it. it's too much sail area for one person to right. i'm hoping to single-hand a Laser II and modify it with the above sails, probably switching to a furling jib also. any comments or suggestions would be helpful. thanks, judd riverotter95 @ msn.com

if my memory serves me right, there was laser 2 called the "laser 2 FUN" or siomething like that, it had weird colured sails and i beleive an asymetric
BUT i might be wrong it has been known to happen in the past:p

do a google search on laser 2 fun see if it brings anything up

just found this,

"The problem is that there is no one type of boat that is the the Laser II Fun, there are no one design rules for the Fun, and there are some Fun's with radically different rigs and sail layouts out there. There have been basic Fun's with no spinnaker, no trapeze and reefing points in the main, and at the other end of the scale there have been Fun's with bowsprits and asymetric spinnakers.

Unfortunately this means that there is no one set published handicap for the Laser II Fun that I know of. I've also checked the RYA's PY list for 2004 (I don't think the 2005 edition has been published yet) and there is none listed in there. You can find a link to the RYA's Portsomuth Yardstick Scheme pages on the Links page. "

Follw the link
http://www.jard.co.uk/cgi-bin/laser2/YaBB.pl?board=l2general;action=display;num=1105308002

Just as an aside.....
the laser 3000 ( now V3000) used a laser 11 hull with a skiff type deck, trapeze and asymetric. There must be a website (sorry i dont have the link) which shows how to set them up. Hope this helps :)

The laser fun "new wave" was the asymetric version. Hard to find.

Bloke at my club has a standard laser fun on to which he's built his own retractable bowsprit (2x stainless tubes, smaller sliding inside larger, lots of ropes and pullies). He's still hampered by lack of a shute for the spinny but it works OK.

Guess if you get a laser II regatta which does have a spinny shute and put a bowsprit on that things might work better.

Really, if you want an asymetric, it's better to buy a 3000 - see www.3000class.org.uk for some to buy. Or lash out on a V3000 from Vandercraft.

I've been single handing a laser 2 fun for a few years now but the lack of spinny and the unsuitable deck shape (slippy for trapezing, a big step out and not much to push out from) are driving me towards a V3000.

Back