Mod 1 cubby...

unclesmitty

I have an 88 mod 1 with the infamous, unsealed, cubby door. I haven't capsized the boat yet but, it looks like when I do (and I will) it would fill the bow/hull with sea water in a hury! Has anyone here capsized or turtled a mod 1 and had the bow fill with water? If so, any advice? Or should I be proactive about it and seal up that door? Any suggestions?
Thanks, Smitty

Many have had their bows filled water due to that hatch . I have added thick rubber weatherstripping to mine which has kept things dry , I think a major flaw is the center mounted latch I am thinking of adding two similar latches to my cover near the lower corners . this should apply more tension evenly around the perimeter.

Rob

Many have had their bows filled water due to that hatch . I have added thick rubber weatherstripping to mine which has kept things dry , I think a major flaw is the center mounted latch I am thinking of adding two similar latches to my cover near the lower corners . this should apply more tension evenly around the perimeter.

Rob

Yeah, see thats what I was thinking. That door makes me a little nervous. I'm assuming you had to glue the weatherstripping on. If so, what did you use?
Thanks for the feedback, Smitty

I have a plastic cover on mine so it is thinner than the stock wooden version . I used 7/16 thick by 3/4" wide black foam rubber weatherstripping I bought at Home Depot . it is self adhesive and if you lightly sand (220 grit) the recess and have a clean surface it sticks very well .

it conforms to the corners very well . slowly roll it on , dont stretch it as you apply it and add some extra to the end. cut , then push back and together for a seamless gasket .

Rob

turtling in mod 1

been there and done that. my second time out alone i laid the boat over 3 times and righted it in gusty conditions before it went upside down. spent the next 2 hours trying to right it. good thing i had a dry suit on as it was 3rd week in november and there was no one around. before everyone beats me up about this, i'll say i learned many lessons that day. what i did do to solve the problem is to seal off the cubby. i got a type 2 cubby insert which looks like a fiberglass kitchen garbage can and put that in the opening. now that's the only part that can take on h20. when i originally laid the boat in the water the side tanks and the cubby completely filled with water and when we did right the boat it was completely awash. i couldn't believe that it was designed that way, and it filled up fast. now i'm not a sailor yet;as i've only sailed on my own 2 times and have only read about sailing in books,but i'll be damned if this stop's me. i also ordered a baby bob for the mast which i will install in a couple of weeks,that should take care of the rest of the problem, while i learn the ropes. flip

Mod One hatch replacement

Hi --
I think I've solved the leaky mod. one cuddy hatch with a two part commercial deck hatch to replace the leaky wood one the boat came with. Including fasteners and caulk the whole project came to about $100, but did take about 12 hours figuring, fussing and fitting it all together.

I posted a description and pics in a 5/28 thread titled “First Sail in my 1987” if you're interested.

I think it's great how this forum provides heads ups to new owners about stuff like the swamping and turtling problem. I'll surely capsize it before too long and where and when I sail it's not unusual for me to not see another boat for an hour or more.

Jim / so. fla.

Back