Minimum Outhaul Cunningham Purchase?

Overdraft

Hi!
I've just installed the new turning block plate and the cam cleat kit and now I'm reconfiguring/making new lines. It seems like it's really easy to make a 4:1 cunningham and a 6:1 outhaul, but is that enough? I'm a 5'10" male and it seems like I can stretch the crap out of the sail with that setup, but maybe someone with more experience can chime in? Usual winds around here are 5-15 so I'll rarely be out in 20+...
Thanks in advance!

I have a 6:1 cunningham, which I have found to be adequate in all wind conditions. I also have a 6:1 outhaul which is great in light air, but as soon as it starts to get windy it's not enough. It becomes almost impossible to pull on the outhaul when I am hiked out, I guess because of all the extra friction on the cleat from the angle and because of the extra friction in the system caused by the clew tiedown/clew strap/clew sleeve. I think it would be a good idea to use an outhaul with more purchase than 6:1.

I have an 8:1 cunningham, but not roped in the normal way. Loads of purchase, and I never run out of travel. It seems fine to release as well.

I still use the old, on boom outhaul, 6:1, dont think I'll ever change it, it suits the way I sail. I use a clew sleeve on it too.

Only an 8:1 kicker (vang) too, although hope to update this soon, probably to 12:1 at the most.

Try it out. If it doesn't work for you, change it. These types of changes are easy to make.

Personally, I'm a skinny dude sailing in a windy venue, so I like lots of purchase.

Back