Minifish

Banoe

Hi,
I am about to pick up a Minifish and trailer. The hull and rigging is in pretty good shape over all but the sail is ok at best.
I was wondering if some one here would know of sources for Minifish parts and sails?
Also is there any info specs. history etc. about Minifish on line?
Thanks

Hi,
I am about to pick up a Minifish and trailer. The hull and rigging is in pretty good shape over all but the sail is ok at best.
I was wondering if some one here would know of sources for Minifish parts and sails?
Also is there any info specs. history etc. about Minifish on line?
Thanks
The Minifish was designed and built by AMF at a time when they were also builders of the Sunfish and several other sailboats. It was introduced around 1971 and lasted until about 1984 when AMF was dissolved in a hostile take-over.

The two page setup sheet and some other information can be downloaded from the Sunfish_Sailor support group.

With only a couple of exceptions, chiefly the mast, spars, and sail, all the parts on a Minifish are the same ones found on a Sunfish.

Sorry to say, the Minifish sail is an uncommon commodity. It is 65 sq ft as opposed to the Sunfish's 75 sq ft and these days only available new as a custom sewn sail. Neil Pryde will make one for ~$75 more than their off-the-rack Sunfish sail (last estimate I saw) . Sailrite may have a pre-cut kit if you are interested in sewing your own.

Owners of classic Standard Sailfish face the same conundrum...

http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=32791&highlight=minifish

Used sails show up for sale here, or at Sunfish Sailor, in CL, or on ebay from time to time.

You can use Sunfish spars and sail. It will kick sailing up a notch and requires some boom/sail position adjustment to achieve good helm balance, but if you are up for the challenge it's an option.

Thanks for the info Wayne. Is there some way of telling the age of the boat? There is only a sticker on the deck with a number should there be a VIN some where else on the boat.

If the parts are the same will a bow handle from a sunfish fit it I just have holes now where the handle used to be.

Bummer about the sails looks like I will need to get a supply of sail tape.

Thanks for the info Wayne. Is there some way of telling the age of the boat? There is only a sticker on the deck with a number. Should there be a VIN some where else on the boat.

If the parts are the same will a bow handle from a sunfish fit it I just have holes now where the handle used to be.

Bummer about the sails looks like I will need to get a supply of sail tape.
The first year and a half of production just had a serial number on a sticker. After Nov of 1972 federal regulation required a Hull ID to be etched into the upper right of the transom. If you find a Hull ID, the model year and month built can be deciphered from the format.

I believe a Sunfish bow handle fits.

Be aware, the deck fittings all have wood backing blocks attached to the back side of the deck to anchor the fasteners. Sometimes these break loose when a piece of hardware is removed -or- the wood rots if the hull has a leak. The deck alone isn't sufficient to hold the handle so check that the block is there and in good shape.

I found the sail prices too. Plenty expensive guess I will just wait till this one blows out.

Only number on the hull is 00335 so I guess it is a 1971 Minifish.

Now to find a handle, does any one have a used one they want to get rid of or is there some place to get used parts. New ones are kind of pricey.

I found the sail prices too. Plenty expensive guess I will just wait till this one blows out.

Only number on the hull is 00335 so I guess it is a 1971 Minifish.

Now to find a handle, does any one have a used one they want to get rid of or is there some place to get used parts. New ones are kind of pricey.
Probably a good bet on the year. So far as I am aware, no serial number list exists for the Mini.

Has your boat got a bailer in the cockpit? Very early production didn't have a bailer.

There are a couple of handles up on ebay this week or you can just go to a dealer ($27 new). Did you look through the For Sale area here?

No baler but a depression in the middle of the floor with a circular mark in it like they were thinking of putting in a baler and changed there mind. Are the later Minifish bailers mounted on the center line of the hull or offset like the Sunfish? If I installed one in this hull it would go right through the keel and be pretty vulnerable to damage.

No baler but a depression in the middle of the floor with a circular mark in it like they were thinking of putting in a baler and changed there mind. Are the later Minifish bailers mounted on the center line of the hull or offset like the Sunfish? If I installed one in this hull it would go right through the keel and be pretty vulnerable to damage.
That's the design...

4978742058_ac3465193a_z.jpg

The Minifish hull I cut down to make a Classic Moth had exactly the same bright colored factory decals as the one in the photo's above. It also came with its original red , orange , yellow , green & blue factory sail.
I was told it was purchased new in 1983 , but interestingly the transom factory serial number was not stamped into the hull , it was on a sticker.
Also , the backing plates for fittings are all aluminum rather than wood.
I still have the chopped off transom section , complete with the factory sticker but it's worn and I can't read it all , however the number begins AMF and ends either 83I or 83L.

Back