Minifish versus Minifish II

could someone tell me the difference between the Minifish and the Minifish II?
thanks

i think this is probably covered in the archives here, but briefly:

the M and M2 difference is almost exactly the difference between a Sunfish and a Supersunfish. The hulls on both the M and M2 are basically the same. all four boats have the same sized rudder gudgeon and same size daggerboard trunk, so blades are fairly interchngeable.

the M has a smaller lateen sunfish-type rig (same size as the old first gen sailfish). think small sunfish.

the M2 has a three-piece mast and a 6 ft boom., like a miniature supersunfish or force5 rig, with a traveller as with those boats. the sail has longer-than-laser battens, but is otherwise cut pretty similar to laser sails.

the m rigs quickly like a sunfish, while the M2 is more like rigging a force5 or laser - still pretty good but not sunfish-simple.

with controls like a force5 or supersunfish - outhaul downhaul, and boomvang controls into the cockpit, the m2 is both fussier and more exacting, but at keadt i think it would be a terrific training boat for a little tyke looking to sail lasers some day.

the portsmouth rating for the M is significantly higher (slower) than the Sunfish or M2', while the M2's is the same as a Sunfish. the m2 is quicker in light air than a Sunfish, but slower in a breeze, particularly heavy downwind.

both the M and M2 are substantially less stable than a sunfish.

new, the M2,was priced only $50 less than the much larger, more stable, and more versitle sunfish, so price was probably an obstacle to high sales back when it came out.

Back