Minifish Serial Identification

Nephroid

Hey Everyone,

Long time lurker and first time poster here. I’m based in Central NJ and have spent a lot time sailing the club SF’s at My local yacht club. Decided it’s finally time to get my own and was actually looking at this Minifish on eBay that shows Hull #1209.

Does anyone know of a good place to look up it’s age? It doesn’t seem to follow the standard SF convention and I haven’t been able to find any good resources online.

Thanks!

John

$400 seems like a good deal to me for a Minifish that looks to be in good shape.

My Minifish has a hull ID number stamped in the upper right side of the transom (the back near the rudder attachment).
If there is a hull ID number, you can determine the year it was built based on the last 2 numbers.

sunfish hull  id.JPG

Sunfish Age and Hull Identification

We don't know of a good place to look up their numbers, they came out around 1972 just after AMF took over Alcort. Along with them came the reduced area "Shadow" dagggerboard and accompanying howls of protest as that daggerboard became standard for the Sunfish as well. And the smaller Standard Sailfish was phased out.

You are lucky to have any number, the early boats had foil stickers that tended to peel of, littering the roadsides with all of the old style rudder pins.

Got any pictures?

IMG_2855.jpg

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

We don't know of a good place to look up their numbers, they came out around 1972 just after AMF took over Alcort. Along with them came the reduced area "Shadow" dagggerboard and accompanying howls of protest as that daggerboard became standard for the Sunfish as well. And the smaller Standard Sailfish was phased out.

You are lucky to have any number, the early boats had foil stickers that tended to peel of, littering the roadsides with all of the old style rudder pins.

Got any pictures?

View attachment 27521

Cheers
Kent and Skipper

Thanks, Kent

The EBay listing I linked to did have pics of the same plate that said 001209. (Sorry - I’m new to this and haven’t yet figured out how to link to that pic directly).

Unfortunately there wasn’t a clear shot of the HIN engraved on the stern.

I too thought it was a decent price and the pictures look promising. I’m going to check it out in person tomorrow. Will report back what I find.

If it has the deck sticker it will not have a HIN on the stern. Supposedly they made 12-13000 of these so this one is an early model but the price is good so if it in nice shape buy it!

Thanks, Kent

The EBay listing I linked to did have pics of the same plate that said 001209. (Sorry - I’m new to this and haven’t yet figured out how to link to that pic directly).

Unfortunately there wasn’t a clear shot of the HIN engraved on the stern.

I too thought it was a decent price and the pictures look promising. I’m going to check it out in person tomorrow. Will report back what I find.

Here we go. If the rest of the boat is in as good shape as that sticker, I'm in!

Capture.JPG

I vaguely recall that the Hull I.D. number on a Minifish was onthe starboard side of the topsides, near the transom just under the hull/deck joint. If you can find this number, the last few numbers will be the year it was built.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Update: I visited the seller last week and she seemed to be in excellent shape. Decided to make a move and I am now her proud owner. Just posted more details in a new thread, here.

Back