Minifish Questions

mjr119

I recently sold my older Sunfish with hopes of upgrading to a newer/better Sunfish. Mine was pretty heavy. Definitely waterlogged and had the wrong rudder on it.

Anyways, I am going to look at a nice Minifish this evening after work. It looks super clean. Has a composite dagger and a wooden rudder with tiller. Mini spars, sail, and mast. non original sail.

My questions are: What is a fair price for a clean Mini ($550 asking price)? Anything I should look out for? I know some thing from Sunfish, my bow handle and deck cleat pulled out.

Thanks all! Can't wait to get back out there, I haven't sailed in 2 months!!!

Also, will it be hard to get rid of (preferably at break even or even a small profit), if I choose to get a Hobie Cat?

If the seller has attached a decent deck block, you're already 80 bucks ahead.

If your weight is under 200 lb you'll probably want to keep the Minifish. They're lightweight, so maybe car-toppable.

You can always trade the Minifish in--on the Hobie. But remember, boats always look better in photographs. :confused:

Good points. I am fairly light, 160 lbs, wife is very light. We wont be sailing it together, as we thought the Sunfish was a bit too small for that. That's why I want to add a Hobie to the fleet. For more passengers. But 99.9% of the time I am soloing from my own dock. So I think the Mini will be a good fit.

Should I try to beat him down on the price any? I'd really like to get it for $400.

Pictures

Attachments

• 00P0P_ky1spGTmM5T_50x50c.jpg
    00P0P_ky1spGTmM5T_50x50c.jpg
    886 bytes · Views: 58
  • 00s0s_9Ccwpymc7da_600x450.jpg
    00s0s_9Ccwpymc7da_600x450.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 62
  • 00v0v_1PdNYyFMGP5_600x450.jpg
    00v0v_1PdNYyFMGP5_600x450.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 00303_aZQ1WHpq3rk_50x50c.jpg
    00303_aZQ1WHpq3rk_50x50c.jpg
    879 bytes · Views: 63
Trailer is NOT included. But okay because I have plenty of trailer right now. Too many actually lol.

It does look nice. :cool:

Good points. I am fairly light, 160 lbs, wife is very light. We wont be sailing it together, as we thought the Sunfish was a bit too small for that. That's why I want to add a Hobie to the fleet. For more passengers. But 99.9% of the time I am soloing from my own dock. So I think the Mini will be a good fit.
Should I try to beat him down on the price any? I'd really like to get it for $400.

He wants $550. Make an offer where his compromise price is in the middle—and an easy number to imagine. (Don't offer $380 :rolleyes:). It helps to find something "wrong". (A rip or hole in the sail, for example).

BTW, that sail looks kinda big. :oops:

I agree with L&VW, that looks like an old Sunfish sail (and rig) on the Mini. Logo is faded, but make sure it's a minifish sail (insignia different from the single Sunfish). See recent thread on Sunfish rig on Mini- not ideal. So you'd then be searching for a minifish rig and sail, which isn't easy to find.
IF it's a Mini rig and the boat doesn't need any repairs I think $500 is fair. If you need to do any fiberglass work or replace the bailer ($45) I'd offer $400 and see where it goes.
I sold a beautiful Mini this past spring for $750 with a new Harbor Freight trailer. I've got two others- great boats!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    923 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I’m not seeing where it is suggested that is a Sunfish sail. And the panel layout doesn’t look like a Sunfish sail- although it’s possible that is on old Sunfish sail that has been reduced in size. The head and clew of a cut down sunfish sail would be smaller as seen on the orange and yellow sail.

I bought the boat late yesterday evening for $500. The guy ended up being super cool and we talked for about an hour. He laid out the minifish rig beside of the sunfish rig, the spars and mast are definitely smaller, can't comment on the sail size or it being cut down. It is a 1978 and pretty clean overall, I am happy with the purchase.

The guy lived on a lake near me (I live on a different lake), he ended up having like 10-15 sailboats. Some pretty large. He invited my friend and I back down to do some big boat sailing soon. He's a certified instructor so read "Free lessons" lol... So all in all it was worth it and I am happy. About to do some Hurricane sailing this evening if i have time. 20+ kts. wish me luck!

Glad you’ve got the proper rig and sail. Sounds like a great purchase! You’ll love the ease of the Mini. Happy sails!

I think you did well all-around and I'm inspired by so many favorable reviews for the Minifish. I may have to add one to my Sunfish fleet! :rolleyes: :confused:

Every Sunfish buyer I've come across has been a delightful hour+ gabfest. (And they give me money). :cool:

Nothing wrong with a Minifish, easiest boat in the world to cartop... though I'm a diehard Laser man, I'll always fondly remember my Minifish for the way she sailed the length of the Salton Sea, easily tackling the task under breezy conditions with heller chop. A grand adventure, and I even had cold beer, though it was watery domestic trash (perfect for the Salton), LOL. :rolleyes:

Nothing wrong with a Minifish, easiest boat in the world to cartop... though I'm a diehard Laser man, I'll always fondly remember my Minifish for the way she sailed the length of the Salton Sea, easily tackling the task under breezy conditions with heller chop. A grand adventure, and I even had cold beer, though it was watery domestic trash (perfect for the Salton), LOL. :rolleyes:

Sometimes, you'll enter a word like Sunfish into any forum search, and come up with interesting pix:

720514[1].jpg

Using existing hardware, this boater loads a Sunfish onto a tall camper. While it's not for me :confused:, the rest of the story:

TheSamba.com :: Vanagon - View topic - roof rack mod for loading boat solo

Back