Minifish Hull to Tub

Breeze Bender

Breeze Bender
I created a big project for myself. I thought I was finishing up my Minifish project, but got a little overzealous with the leak test. The hull became overpressured and I heard a ‘pop’.
Argh, I busted the cockpit tub to hull seal on the port side. When I flipped over the boat and pushed on the hull there was flexing.
I’ve never had to make this repair before. There are
no inspection ports on this hull (yet) and it is light and dry.
I’m thinking about using a hole saw to cut out a 2.5” circle in the bottom of the hull, then injecting thickened epoxy, then foam. I’ve got the 2-part expanding foam and imagine it will take very little to fill the void. I know it expands quickly and I don’t want to do more damage than I’ve already done.
I’m not sure if I’ll have enough room to get a proper seal, or if this is the best method of repair? More work than I’d planned, that’s for sure.
Be careful with your leak test- Don’t let this happen to you!

Either sell it and the buyer will never know, or just drill a small hole (1/4" ?) in the cockpit floor and inject the expanding foam. I don't see why you would need epoxy - that foam is like glue.

I will be selling, but if I don’t make the repair wouldn’t there be “oilcanning” when sailed?
Thanks- yes, you’re right, epoxy would be overkill. And a smaller hole should suffice.

Been there, done that, bought the tee shirt....but on a Laser hull. Luckily the "pop" was around the cockpit drain hole and an easy, non-invasive repair. Air under pressure can generate quite a bit of force. I use a little hand held vacuum cleaner on blower mode and then just a few puffs at a time. You will know you have enough pressure when you see bubbles on the factory installed hole on the forward wall of the cockpit (but I am not sure the Minifish has such a hole.)

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

One thing with the epoxy, it won't expand like the foam....so if using expanding foam, you might take some precautions as well. You could have a real problem then.

[QUOTE="Alan Glos, post: 183345, You will know you have enough pressure when you see bubbles on the factory installed hole on the forward wall of the cockpit (but I am not sure the Minifish has such a hole.)
Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY [\QUOTE]
Thanks, Alan. Yes, the Mini has the hole, but I taped over it so it would be sealed. I use a small blower from an inflatable mattress and it has worked well in the past, but I’ll be more careful in the future. Knowing one of my mentors has made the same mistake somehow makes me feel better about it!

One thing with the epoxy, it won't expand like the foam....so if using expanding foam, you might take some precautions as well. You could have a real problem then.

I know... hesitant to use the foam. I’ve secured loose blocks with it and know it expands ALOT. In the small space between tub and hull even a little could be too much.

I personally think going in from the bottom and being careful you should be ok. Do more than one fill, if needed with small amounts. Use a straw or similar. Just a little amount!....basically just enough to glue it back together...not trying to fill ALL air space.

Lastly...my old Puffer flexed and there was enough distance to hang fiberglass tabs or strips of glass. That really did the trick. Maybe some heavily saturated fiberglass mat shoved in there with a stick or whatever?? Won't look pretty, but will act like " glued spacers"

Good idea with the fiberglass mat, mixmkr.
3 or 4 blobs spaced out with a paint stick should do the trick. I’m going to think about it while I work on another boat!

That's too bad. I'm really kinda surprised with that kind of mind frame coming especially from you, with all the excellent advice you give. This seems counter to that. I'd feel for the novice boat buyer, purchasing something for his kids to enjoy, to only start realizing problems after they learned more about the boat. That said, I wouldn't have an issue selling the boat "as is"...but I think it's best to disclose any defects, etc and not try to sell something at the same price as a boat without said defects. Any rate...waaaaay off topic. Sorry BreezeB

Lastly...my old Puffer flexed and there was enough distance to hang fiberglass tabs or strips of glass. That really did the trick. Maybe some heavily saturated fiberglass mat shoved in there with a stick or whatever?? Won't look pretty, but will act like " glued spacers"
Shouldn't the cockpit-to-deck seam be watertight?

Yes. But....The puffer cockpit floor has more space underneath it to the actual hull....more than the Sunfish...was what I was talking about.

Was there a (closed) inspection port on this Minifish when the pressure test was done?

Just curious... :)

No inspection ports in this Mini. I’m not concerned so much about a leak, but I don’t want to compromise the structural integrity of the boat. The port side of the hull compresses noticeable when I push on it. I think mixmkr ‘s idea should work, or I may add a port in the rear of the cockpit and access from there.

Right- And I love that there’s no seam, no trim, rolled edges.

I’m thinking that under the Mini cockpit is like this sacrificial Sunfish I cut up last summer- only smaller. In my original post I said I ‘busted the seal’ meaning the glue blobs holding cockpit floor to hull.

Attachments

• 7F7AE879-2FDE-4159-8108-344F0C44AE11.jpeg
    7F7AE879-2FDE-4159-8108-344F0C44AE11.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 33
Hey--that tub would make a great garden fish-pond. Add some shallow plantings, mosquito fish, and a couple of Koi. :)

Back