Minifish Bailer

I've got some Christmas money coming my way and was thinking of replacing the bailer on my 77 minifish. The bailers seem to have a bad rep for breaking, which makes sense given their placement, but how common is this? It's the only broken part on the boat and it would be nice to have it back to stock, but I don't want the bailer to turn into a consumable part. The cap and plug are fine so I'll only need the bailer housing, which by the way is this the correct part? Thanks

For another $7, you can buy the entire part, which includes small items that can be easily lost.

There's the old aluminum De Persia bailer--used--but about the same price at eBay.com. Corrosion long-term has been a problem, but using Teflon tape will keep corrosion at bay. Rebuilding the innards is an art--a "work of love".

I've gone old-school, using an 1-1/4" diameter automotive "freeze plug" ($5). (Not the more costly plug with the handle--Swap the two washers to put the larger washer to the inside). For bailing, I use a cutoff plastic pint water bottle.

Beldar opined that it is best to only step into a Sunfish when it is in the water--which would save many a plastic bailer--and is excellent advice--IMHO. :cool:

I usually remove my bailer after each sail to make sure it doesn't get damaged. My only problem is I usually forget to install it until after I start to sail. :oops:

Get the complete bailer on ebay for $46 with free shipping (which is $10 on Sunfish Direct) and save $6 of your Christmas money toward something else you want!
Search Sunfish bailer- both 91026 (short) and long are available. I have two Minis. One has short and one has the long bailer. Not sure, but I think your year uses the short (“newer”) bailer, as you posted.

The Minifish is a great boat, probably built better than most Sunfish of the same era, but they put the bailer right on the keel and exposed to damage when the Mini is beached or hauled up on a dock. The original metal DePersia bailers could take the abuse but the newer plastic bailers could not. Installing a DePersia bailer is probably your best bet but they are hard to find. I usually have one for sale but I am fresh out for the moment. Maybe somebody reading this thread has one for sale.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I now have a DePersia bailer that will fit a Minifish: DePersia Bailer Assembly
I hope you haven’t given up on your Minifish hull! My new free Mini has the De Persia bailer, as well. Haven’t tried unscrewing it yet. It will probably take time and PB Blaster, but hopefully not the dremel.

Attachments

• F45C807F-7A84-4803-88CE-78AD0DC292BF.jpeg
    F45C807F-7A84-4803-88CE-78AD0DC292BF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 49
BB,

I probably will give up on trying to dry out the Minifish hull I just acquired. Iy is woefully heavy, probably up 150-160 lbs. The real beauty of a Mini is that it is so light, and even with weeks and weeks of drying, I doubt I could ever get most of the water out of the interior foam. It is also old - a 1974 birthdate.

Alan Glos

“It is also old - a 1974 birthdate”

My free Mini is the same year. It’s not old, it’s vintage! I wish I was closer, I’d take your hull. I’d do a quick leak test, wrap it in black garbage bags and stick it on a pair of sawhorses in the back 40. Then forget about it! Easier than cutting up the hull (though I know you’ve got that down to a science )

Attachments

• 5C6623A8-2C91-463C-B458-B1C91BCAB6CF.jpeg
    5C6623A8-2C91-463C-B458-B1C91BCAB6CF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
BB,

Alas my '74 Mini was a lost cause. It weighed in at about 150lbs., and no amount of air drying was going to get it anywhere close to original weight.
Sooo, the hull is now taking the "long dirt nap" at the local Town of Lincoln landfill minus all the rig and hardware which will live on in other projects.

Alan Glos

Back