Might have landed a sweet deal

Salty Sea Dog

Hey Guys,
I've been looking to buy a sunfish, and a friend of mine recently told me about one he'd seen for $100. I know this is a cause for extreme caution (nobody wants to get stuck with a useless sunfish), but he's a knowledgeable sailor and seems to think it's a super awesome deal. Apparently it's fully equipped and ready to hit the lake. I'm driving up to see it tomorrow, hopefully I'll return with an awesome little 'fish. I'm already hoping for a Sunday afternoon maiden voyage.

Got the boat today, the rudder and dagger board need to be refinished. Also, there is some damage on the hull around the dagger board slot thingy. I may upload some pictures later...

Advice for a new sailor?

Well, I now have my first sunfish, and I think she's in pretty good condition. I'm not planning on racing her, hopefully she'll do great as a recreational boat. I'm pretty sure it was a steal for $100. Below is my assessment of the boat, I'll try to put up some pictures later. I'm a pretty green sailor, any input is much appreciated.

New rudder assembly and storage in rear of cockpit, so she's definitely post 1971 (right?), can't tell exactly what year. Since I don't know what "rolled edges on the gunwale" refers to, I don't know if she's pre or post 1987. She has a metal bailer assembly and cap; I haven't tried to get that off yet. I'm not sure if that's something you just automatically replace, or if it's possible that it will be sufficient. How can one tell? There isn't a single inspection port in her, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing or if it just doesn't matter. I could always install one.

The hull is stiff and fairly light, but I haven't weighed it yet. There are some nicks along the spine, but I guess that's pretty normally (hopefully). There is some damage on the hull near the front of the dagger board slot (whatever it's called). I'll have to grind it down to see how bad it is. I don't think it continues up inside the dagger board slot thingy.

The sail is great except for two little holes alongside of the lower boom, one on each end. I guess it was probably stored improperly. Some sail tape should patch that nicely. It's also missing some sail rings, and the halyard was improperly placed (between the sixth and seventh rings from the bottom).

The other problems with her are, as I mentioned in the above post, the dagger board, rudder, and tiller. They should probably all be refinished. I don't know what the specific procedure is for that, maybe epoxy and a couple coats of varnish? The rudder is in good condition, but the dagger board has cracks along the very top where the handle is bolted on. They don't extend down the board beyond the handle, but I can see the bolts looking at the board from the top. I can't really afford a new one right now; I don't know if that's something I can repair cheaply or not. I may just refinish it without taking the handle off, it doesn't shift around any. There is no tiller extension, I'm not sure what I'm planning on doing about that. Making an old wooden one doesn't seem like a huge ordeal, but I have no experience with it. It might be a good idea to get a new one anyway. She also needs a new bridle and a hiking strap.

I'm sure there's probably some things I have overlooked, but time will tell. If she ends up weighing a bunch I guess I'll have to install some inspection ports and search for leaks.

Re: Advice for a new sailor?

Well, I now have my first sunfish, I'm a pretty green sailor, any input is much appreciated
Congratulations

Download a copy of this guide to get you started...
http://www.sunfishforum.com/showthread.php?t=30417

New [style] rudder assembly, storage in rear of cockpit, metal bailer. . .
The description points to a 1972 before the metal bailer inventory ran out and they switched to the plastic version.

Is there as serial number plate on the deck in the “V” of the splash guard? How about a Hull ID stamped into the upper right of the transom?

See the Knowledge Base for more ways to ID your model year. . .

Sunfish Forum ┐​
Knowledge Base ┐ (at the top of the screen)​
Model Year and Manufacturer ┐​
Link at bottom of page (Time line.pdf)​

She has a metal bailer assembly and cap; I haven't tried to get that off yet. I'm not sure if that's something you just automatically replace, or if it's possible that it will be sufficient. How can one tell?
If it works and doesn’t leak, you may as well keep it.

There isn't a single inspection port in her, I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing or if it just doesn't matter. I could always install one.
Ports are installed when needed for a repair, for drying a leaky or waterlogged boat, or for ventilation to help keep the inner hull dry.

The hull is stiff and fairly light, but I haven't weighed it yet. There are some nicks along the spine, but I guess that's pretty normally (hopefully). There is some damage on the hull near the front of the dagger board slot (whatever it's called). I'll have to grind it down to see how bad it is. I don't think it continues up inside the dagger board slot thingy
When you say grind. . . be gentle. Sanding and a little Dremel work is usually all it takes. Going overboard with a grinder can needlessly turn a simple fix into an expensive repair.

The sail is great except for two little holes alongside of the lower boom, one on each end. I guess it was probably stored improperly. Some sail tape should patch that nicely. It's also missing some sail rings, and the halyard was improperly placed (between the sixth and seventh rings from the bottom).
Sounds like you have a handle on the sail issues.

The other problems with her are, as I mentioned in the above post, the dagger board, rudder, and tiller. They should probably all be refinished. I don't know what the specific procedure is for that, maybe epoxy and a couple coats of varnish? The rudder is in good condition, but the dagger board has cracks along the very top where the handle is bolted on. They don't extend down the board beyond the handle, but I can see the bolts looking at the board from the top. I can't really afford a new one right now; I don't know if that's something I can repair cheaply or not. I may just refinish it without taking the handle off, it doesn't shift around any.
Search out varnishing tips using the search feature at the top of the page.

There is no tiller extension, I'm not sure what I'm planning on doing about that. Making an old wooden one doesn't seem like a huge ordeal, but I have no experience with it. It might be a good idea to get a new one anyway.
They are handy to have for hiking out.

She also needs a new bridle and a hiking strap.
Sunfish dealer items (see the ads at the bottom of the Forum’s home page)

I'm sure there's probably some things I have overlooked, but time will tell. If she ends up weighing a bunch I guess I'll have to install some inspection ports and search for leaks.
Keep the ports to a minimum. See what it weighs and do a leak test. Guides for both are in the Knowledge Base.

When you shoot your pictures take a couple of the problem spots.

"dagger board has cracks along the very top where the handle is bolted on. They don't extend down the board beyond the handle, but I can see the bolts looking at the board from the top. I can't really afford a new one right now"

I was in exactly that situation. I had a very good outcome by removing the handles from the board, cleaning all the varnish off, repairing the voids with epoxy, and reassembling with epoxy and stainless screws. Everything then got about 4 coats of UV resistant epoxy. Seems to be a strong as it was new.

I have an abundance of polyurethane and varnish for indoor outdoor furniture and hardwood floors as well as a ton of wood sealant for decks...I suppose none of this is good for refinishing a dagger board?

I have an abundance of polyurethane and varnish for indoor outdoor furniture and hardwood floors as well as a ton of wood sealant for decks...I suppose none of this is good for refinishing a dagger board?
They'll work, but consider this..., you are finishing something that will be immersed not just rained or spilled on. What do the products you have say for that application. From my experience, you'll be refinishing every couple of years rather than every decade. Cost out the materials and time and go with what you think works best for you.

Back