Metal bailer

Seaotter

My new-to-me 1974 Minifish has a metal nailer. Weren't they all originally outfitted with a plastic one?

Don't think so. Our minifish of that same era has the metal one installed.

Mike

Ok, thanks! I must have misread a previous post. Any hints you can give me about sailing the Minifish? Our first (winds 5-7) outing went well, but its a lot smaller than my previous sailboats! I got it because I can handle it by myself, so hopefully I will be able to get out more often.

Ok, thanks! I must have misread a previous post. Any hints you can give me about sailing the Minifish? Our first (winds 5-7) outing went well, but its a lot smaller than my previous sailboats! I got it because I can handle it by myself, so hopefully I will be able to get out more often.
Not really......I bought ours for the kids, and the wife appropriated it! She likes it, while I am too heavy (250 pounds). Because of it's narrow beam (and my weight) it's too tippy for me.........So I Sunfish and she Minifishes!
I did add an adjustable gooseneck and ratchet block to the boat. She does race it, and does quite well, so that helps her a lot.
Watch the bailer.....it can vibrate out while traveling. I lost a Sunfish one that way. I bought some PVC threaded pipe plugs at the hardware store for about a buck each (can't remember the exact diameter, but bring your metal one to the store and they can figure it out.) Threw an O ring on it, and for about $2 I have a spare bailer plug. We also installed a drain plug in the transom. Makes it easier to drain.

That's all I can think of. If it's too tippy for you, consider a sunfish. Same general rig, but wider and more stable for heavy guys like me.

Mike

Not really......I bought ours for the kids, and the wife appropriated it! She likes it, while I am too heavy (250 pounds). Because of it's narrow beam (and my weight) it's too tippy for me.........So I Sunfish and she Minifishes!
I did add an adjustable gooseneck and ratchet block to the boat. She does race it, and does quite well, so that helps her a lot.
Watch the bailer.....it can vibrate out while traveling. I lost a Sunfish one that way. I bought some PVC threaded pipe plugs at the hardware store for about a buck each (can't remember the exact diameter, but bring your metal one to the store and they can figure it out.) Threw an O ring on it, and for about $2 I have a spare bailer plug. We also installed a drain plug in the transom. Makes it easier to drain.

That's all I can think of. If it's too tippy for you, consider a sunfish. Same general rig, but wider and more stable for heavy guys like me.

Mike
I have owned a Sunfish in the past, but I am getting too old to put it on top of my car., I got the Minifish because I can handle it by myself (on my canoe trailer) and because I have several younger skinnier kids who want to learn how to sail. I have gone for a short trial sail, and was rather surprised at how stable the Mini is. Of course I am used to sailing an old Grumman canoe, so I am well acquainted with the whole balancing dance. I am, however, saving up my spending money for a new Sunfish and trailer combo, and then using the Mini as a trainer.

Back