Merrimac Memorial Regatta (Portsmouth, VA)

Jack H

I'd like to invite the Sunfish class to come to Portsmouth and race. I am not sure exactly where to post the info so here goes:

Merrimac Memorial Regatta
Saturday May 28th (Memorial Day Weekend)
Hosted by the Portsmouth Boat Club

The annual Merrimac Memorial Regatta will again be held in the waters of the Elizabeth River off of Portsmouth City Park in Portsmouth, VA. The regatta is open to all sailboats under 22’. Any 4 boats of the same class will receive their own start. The open fleet will be scored under the Portsmouth Handicap system. Trophies will be awarded to the top 3 finishers in all fleets. The skipper’s meeting is at 09:30. The first gun is at 10:00. A Memorial Day cookout will be held at lunch. Racing will resume after lunch. Awards will be given out later in the afternoon.
Camping and/or boat storage is available to out of town competitors at the Portsmouth Yacht Club.
Please see our website for more information including pictures and results from previous years: http://portsmouthboatclub.org/pbc_merrimac.htm
Please feel free to contact Jack Herbert ([email protected]) with questions.

As you can see, in addition to one design starts, there will be a handicap fleet so Supersunfish and other boats that may not generally get a chance to race are eligable for this one.
I hope to see some of you on the race course!
Thanks,
-Jack

Is anyone thinking about coming to this regatta? I know my brother will be out on his sunfish. It will be his first race. if we get 3 additional boats then we will have a sunfish start!
BTW the portsmouth yacht club (free camping) has showers and a boat ramp onto Scott's Creek which is a 5 minute sail from Norfolk Harbor.

I would have love to come but it conflicts with another regatta (non sunfish). If there are any other sunfish regattas in the area let me know. I've been looking for sunfish racing on the Chesapeake Bay for about a year and a half now. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be much. If you or any one else knows of any please let me know.

As far as sunfish one design goes, I don't know right off hand. But it looks like these guys race Sunfish in Richmond, VA http://grsa.org/
They can be tough to get a hold of though.
I know that Ware River (near Glouster, VA) has a big one design small boat race every year. I think they will start any class that shows up. I'm not sure how many boats are needed to make a class.
Also, the Potomac River Sailing Assoc. has a big regatta the same weekend (memorial day) and invites all classes. Again, I'm not sure how many you need to make a class. Finally, I know that there is a Portsmouth fleet out of Solomon's Island and I think its Wed. nights.
Where are you located and which regatta are you going to instead?
I'm in Norfolk. I have a Laser, a J/24 and an AMF Apollo. My brother has the sunfish.
There is a guy selling a boat from Sunfish World's in the for sale part of this forum and he is in VA Beach so I imagine he might know where the Sunfish regattas are on the Chesapeake.
-Jack

Jack H said:
I imagine he might know where the Sunfish regattas are on the Chesapeake.
-Jack

There is a Sunfish Mid-Atlantic Regional Regatta on Sep 10-11 at Premier Sailing, The Tides Inn, Irvington, VA. All you Virginia Sunfish sailors should go.

Back