Merrily Steps Down

Bradley

Admin/Operations
Staff member
Hello everyone,

Today is a sad day at The Laser Forum/Sailing Forums Network: Our beloved Administrator, Janet Rupert (Merrily), is stepping down from her post. I would like to thank Janet for all her help since she joined the forum and helped to maintain the network of sites. Her time and effort in the spotlight and behind the scenes could never be justly compensated. Janet still plans to remain an active member of the community here at TLF and will continue her official duties for the ILCA-NA. I would like to wish Janet well and I hope you all will do the same.

The following is the message she asked me to post on her behalf.
I always said that as long as I was having fun, I would remain an administrator on The Laser Forum. Recently, though, with the increased volume on the forum, there have been a lot more threads to read through. Yes, I have read every bit of it every day. This wasn’t asked of me, but it’s how I felt the job should be done. As a bonus, I learned a tremendous amount about Lasers and sailing that way, but now I’m just plain tired.

The recent controversy and disagreements are not the root cause of my leaving. They do serve for me as a bellwether. What I formerly would have answered with enthusiasm I now find a chore. So I think it’s best that I leave as Administrator and just check in from time to time for my own benefit, reading only the threads that interest me. It will also be a relief to not always have to think of the responsible reply.

I’ll have more time now for my writing, which I have neglected. I hope to soon finish the book that I have been writing for many years. No more excuses! I may even have more time to sail my boat. I’ll still be plenty involved in the Laser Class as Fleet Captain at my sailing club and Secretary of District 18 and will be able to devote more time to those tasks.

It has been a great pleasure communicating with most of you, especially Bradley but many others, and I’ve learned so much about Lasering from this community. I’ve “met” some fantastic people, and I still hope to meet many of you in person, especially on the racecourse. Thank you for your support!

Fare well,

Janet E. Rupert, AKA Merrily
Thanks again Merrily!

Best Regards,

Merrily, thanks for your hard work. It's truly a thankless job.

"I don't know the secret to success, but the secret to failure is trying to please everybody" -- Bill Cosby

How can it be a thankless job Chris if you just thanked her?

Thanks Merrily - we all appreciated all your efforts on this forum. Have fun sailing and maybe I'll meet you at a regatta somewhere.

See - I thanked her too - that proves it's not a thankless job.

Uh Merrily?? I don't know about anybody else here but I don't intend to accept that resignation.
You are a fixture!!!

A human one...Nice...good folk...loved by all, appreciated by all who have any sense what so ever and many of us who don't...all that stuff in spades. but.

Nope. Not gonna accept that rsignation.

No way. Not happening.

Ears plugged and eyes closed...not reading any more of this silly stuff about doing something else... uh uh.

Merrily forever!!!

Fred

Merrily, thanks for your contributions to the forum, and laser sailing discourse!

Make sure to sell your book here when it's done! :)

Thanks Merrily. You helped create a wonderful culture of friendliness and learning. I hope it is a legacy that is continued. Go off and have fun now!

gouvernail said:
You are a fixture!!!
Fred

Egads! Good thing I got out before I became petrified. Sorry, it's true. Bradley's not hittin' the sauce or anything.

Thanks everyone for all your good wishes. Goin' sailing now.

Be good!

gouvernail said:
Uh Merrily?? I don't know about anybody else here but I don't intend to accept that resignation.
You are a fixture!!!

A human one...Nice...good folk...loved by all, appreciated by all who have any sense what so ever and many of us who don't...all that stuff in spades. but.

Nope. Not gonna accept that rsignation.

No way. Not happening.

Ears plugged and eyes closed...not reading any more of this silly stuff about doing something else... uh uh.

Merrily forever!!!

Fred

haha fred you crack me up.
But everything he says is true.
Your support of this forum and what you have helped create is truly admirable and we will miss you as an administrator.
If you look at this forum as a family you are defiantaley the mother figure and we will miss that. I hope you keep posting regularly.

Back