Merrily Against the Wind & Frostbiting

Re: Merrily Against the Wind and DC 18 at Wawasee

SFBayLaser said:
I'm just seeing this... Dick Tillman just finished second at the International Masters Regatta sailed here in San Francisco in J105's this past weekend (actually, October 13-15). He beat Don Trask (the first West Coast builder of Lasers in North America) and six other famous old guys but lost to George Hinman (Commodore of the NYYC). He had an almost all Laser sailing crew consisting of Peter Vessella, David Lapier, Matt Carter and myself.

See, you keep having a San Francisco connection in your Laser postings!

Yeah, he said would be sailing in SF with you. I'm glad y'all did well. My SF connection may continue. John and I will be heading out to work on our house this winter. I hope to take you up on the offer of Wednesday night sailing. Of course, my sailing is on the remedial level, but I just want to be on the water.

Re: Merrily Against the Wind & FOOLS

We've been frostbiting and call ourselves FOOLS, for Frostbiting On O'Shaughnessy Laser Series. Yesterday was our third or fourth time out. We watch for the best conditions and only go out in steady winds. We wear either wetsuits or dry suits, but none of us want to end up in the water, which is in the low 40s. We continued yesterday afternoon with some of the better wind conditions of the year. We bundled up and launched from the ramp, and we had the great fortune to have Anne Filbert as Race Committee from a crash boat, so for the first time we kept score. The air was in the mid 40s and it was cloudy but bright. The winds from the north started out at 8 to 10 but quickly subsided to 6 to 8 with just a small oscillation. It was hard to remember that we were at Leatherlips! Anne kept score, and we got in six races. RC decided she could not be objective in the third race in which Keith and Mark had a rules dispute. She said she favored Mark (her husband) because he was so cute, but she wisely threw out the race. We are out for fun. The results are Keith Cruickshank, Mark Hess, Tyler Cruickshank, Bob France, Janet Rupert. Cold hands (and feet), warm hearts.

RJ Graef said:
yeah it is

We went out yesterday afternoon and got in an hour of sailing before dark. It was 65 degrees with steady winds 8 to 10. Perfection. There were only three of us, including me, Tyler, and Bob. We tuned and Keith coached us from the safety boat. It was great and we weren't even cold. :D The conditions were probably too easy for you, RJ.

Back