Mast track

cbarber237

Just purchased a 1983 Carpi 14.2. Love it. Much less rigging time than my O Day 22. Noticed upon rigging the main that about 2 feet from head of mast the track opens up. Raising the sail is difficult unless a lot of tension is placed on the main halyard to keep the leach in the track, not to mention lowering it once it gets out of the track. I assume this is not normal. Can I squeeze it with a vice to the correct width?
Also what does the external plug drain. Nothing ever comes out when I open it?
Carl

Hey Carl - glad you're enjoying the new boat.

Sorry about the mast track; that does sound like a pain. I can't offer any expertise there but hopefully someone else can comment.

As for the drain plug, no water coming out is a good thing! That means you aren't accumulating any water in the bilge area under the seats. But remember to always keep the plug out except when putting the boat in the water. That way, if there is any leftover water from your last trip (or if any rain water gets in there) it can drain out instead of sitting there and rotting the boat.

CBARBER: I wonder if you cannot squeeze the track tighter, if maybe you could build up the edges a bit with a good epoxy? If you get a little too much, you could file and sand to right spacking. RK

Try a rubber mallot. Use the mallot to tap the track slot back into place if your vice solution doesn't do the trick.

OK. I tried a rubber mallet. No joy. Got a straight edge, taped the mast and used a small body hammer and all went well. Sail raises and lowers as advertised. Very pleased with the outcome. Thanks all for your inputs

Back