Mast top section

Flying Monkey

I was hoping some one on here would be able to tell me the size of the mast top section tube. I'm mostly interested in the wall thickness (or inside diameter), and if some one happened to know what alloy it is that would be great too.

Thanks
Eric

Flying Monkey said:
I was hoping some one on here would be able to tell me the size of the mast top section tube. I'm mostly interested in the wall thickness (or inside diameter), and if some one happened to know what alloy it is that would be great too.

Thanks
Eric

me too!

regards,

carlos

Hi Chuso007,

I agree with you. However, I remember it was in 1992-4 that spars started to be shipped with a Laser red stamp. Earlier units did not have any.

However, I remember in a European Championship in the very early 90s that a Italian sailor got disqualified and banned for a year when the official discovered that his low mast was home made (different alu alloy). Actually, I saw the mast and it was different from anything I had seem before. Instead of longitudinal coated kind of alu it was helicoidal, very weird, if you know what I mean.

By the way, I'm back in galicia after 8 years living in the States. There's a race in the Club the Mar de Aguete next weekend (July 16-17) in the Ria de Pontevedra (south side). If you wish to race, do not hesitate. I live in Pontevedra, and you're welcome to stay at my place. My phone number is 986-857410 and email: [email protected]

Saludos,

carlos

Pd. I broke my boom a couple of days ago with a 20 knot breeze. it was 11 years old, I just made a new one using an old top section that was badly bended. I'll test the "new" one today.

I think its safe to say that alternatives are out there at lower cost than the official Laser product. These are fine or perhaps even better for recreational sailing. But if you are racing even at the club level if Laser's name isn't on it Laser didn't make and it's not a Laser your sailing at that point. If you use a product that is questionable at all then this demonstrates bad sportsmanship. (just my opinion)

Cenutrio said:
Hi Chuso007,

I agree with you. However, I remember it was in 1992-4 that spars started to be shipped with a Laser red stamp. Earlier units did not have any.

However, I remember in a European Championship in the very early 90s that a Italian sailor got disqualified and banned for a year when the official discovered that his low mast was home made (different alu alloy). Actually, I saw the mast and it was different from anything I had seem before. Instead of longitudinal coated kind of alu it was helicoidal, very weird, if you know what I mean.

By the way, I'm back in galicia after 8 years living in the States. There's a race in the Club the Mar de Aguete next weekend (July 16-17) in the Ria de Pontevedra (south side). If you wish to race, do not hesitate. I live in Pontevedra, and you're welcome to stay at my place. My phone number is 986-857410 and email: [email protected]

Saludos,

carlos

Pd. I broke my boom a couple of days ago with a 20 knot breeze. it was 11 years old, I just made a new one using an old top section that was badly bended. I'll test the "new" one today.

I can´t make it because I have a family reunion in Zamora that weekend and the next weekend I have big boat racing (Conde de Gondomar) anyway I think that about the first weekend in august there might be a race in Ares, but I'm not sure. I´ve never raced in lasers (I have in other classes), and mine is not in very good shaoe, but I´d love to try anyway. I`'ll give you a call if something comes up

Thanks for offering me a place to stay :)

Are you going back to the States? Because I will probably move to Vigo in september, and I'm definitely bringing the laser with me... I also have a couple of friends there that sail lasers.

Hi Chuso007,

No, I won't come back to the States before September. I plan to race the Galicia championship in La Coruña in mid August (may be the spanish championship in Alicante in early September). Let me know if there's racing in Ares, I've sailed in Ares in the past. Beautiful spot.

I may do some IMS racing during late Augost as well. The Gondomar is a classic.

Yes, I built a boom using discarded parts from a top section and a broken boom. However, I did it because there's no local store where to buy Laser stuff. I ordered yesterday a complete set of new masts to Barcelona (Maresport) but it won't arrive until Tuesday. I just want to sail during the weekend, that's the reason why I built a temporal/replacement boom.

Mid august... I'll be doing the Rias Bajas from 11th-15th, so I guess I won´t see you around then...

I asked you if you were going to the States thinking on next season, because right now I'm not taking the laser sailing very seriously (too little time, too many things to do). But next season, living in Vigo, I just might sail more (I sure hope so)

On what IMS boat do you sail?

My brother Fernando will skipper the Telefonica IMS 500 (I think) is some late summer events, he may ask me to crew. Just for the fun of it, and I mean going out every night. It is his time to rest after a very busy Tornado season.

Cenutrio said:
My brother Fernando will skipper the Telefonica IMS 500 (I think) is some late summer events, he may ask me to crew. Just for the fun of it, and I mean going out every night. It is his time to rest after a very busy Tornado season.

Great! we might see each other then,

Congratulations to your brother for the Tornado Worlds, I think he is the first galician to win a world championship in an olympic class right?

Back