Mast supports for trailer

vtsailer

I'd like to figure out a way to attach my mast to the trailer, rather than transporting it on top of my boat.

One idea is to make a brace that will attach to the gudgeon. This makes me nervous, though. If I go over bumps, it seems like there would be quite a bit of downward pressure placed upon the gudgeon. Can the boat really take this amount of stress>

I have the same question for the mast step hole. Would I be risking damage to the hull if I place a support there?

My Phantom came with a product called a mast caddy by Midwest Aquatics. My last search I found the company name still exists, but it's a SCUBA shop in Michigan. The gudgeon support will only work for a Phantom or a Pointer 14. There are some foam blocks that you can use on the deck to support the spars.
DSCI0001.JPGDSCI0002.JPG DSCI0003.JPG

I built a support that slips into the mast hole. It's made from 3/4" plywood (2 layers) and a piece of PVC pipe. It has several coats of sanding sealer and then paint (and yes, I spent far too much time on it). Indoor/outdoor carpet strips are glued (using silicone caulk) to the top and bottom. Just aft of the cockpit I place a flotation cushion ($10 at Wal-mart or Academy) for the spars/mast to rest on. The spars/mast are tied down at the front to the bow handle and to the strap across teh cockpit that also serves to hold the boat to the trailer.
P1050929.jpg
P1050925.jpg

Back