Mast Step Wear?

mmadge

Any suggestions on what to do to tidy up mast step wear.I already use the mast wear strips on my mast,and I regularly wax the mast step and mast base.Also spray with Mclube.
Just looking for ideas on how to make it look a little nicer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.5 KB · Views: 91
It looks normal...how old is the boat? I'm wondering if it wears any more that
it will fail? At what point of wear would we be able to drop in a metal sleeve to help reduce further wear and tear without breaking class rules?

I was thinking more along the lines of just painting some gelcoat over the wear.
Not really showing any signs of cracks or failure.

That might help a little....I noticed I will get really black water if I pour some clean water into the hole...probably from the aluminum residue from the lower mast. It doesn't go down unless I tip the boat over and drain it out...good way to check for mast step leaks.

If you already have a wear strip and use a lubricant, it shouldn't look like that. If you want to get rid of the old aluminium stains, try wiping it with acetone first and if anything remains, sand it off with fine sandpaper.
At what point of wear would we be able to drop in a metal sleeve to help reduce further wear and tear without breaking class rules?
Any. The rules don't say anything about the material: http://www.laserinternational.org/rules/classrules/partthree/mast

Back