Mast Step Protection

AQBill

I sail off a sandy beach a lot and worry about getting sand in the mast step. I notice that the Laser folks have some high tech plates and such that not only protect the fiberglass but also facilitate mast rotation. Even though there's not so much rotation in a Sunfish owing to the halyard, wouldn't the protection still be worthwhile?
Any thoughts appreciated.

I sail off a sandy beach a lot and worry about getting sand in the mast step. I notice that the Laser folks have some high tech plates and such that not only protect the fiberglass but also facilitate mast rotation. Even though there's not so much rotation in a Sunfish owing to the halyard, wouldn't the protection still be worthwhile?
Any thoughts appreciated.

Before you step the mast, just clean off the bottom.
If you are still worried, you can drop a circular piece of plastic or metal in the bottom of the step.

PS: On a new Laser, the metal plate is under the gelcoat. Once the gelcoat wears through, the mast will rotate on the metal plate. One can buy a 'wear' disc that rests on top of the gelcoat on the bottom of the Laser mast tube. But that isn't really necessary. As I stated, the best protection is to rub off any dirt with your hands before stepping the mast. If necessary, you can also rinse out the mast tube afterwards.

Back