Mast step metal protection pad.

HelgeS

I hear newer boats have a build in metal disc in the mast step for wear protection. What year did PS/LP begin with this? I could not see any on my 2006 PSE boat.

I hear newer boats have a build in metal disc in the mast step for wear protection.
Yeah, that’s something one has heard many times, but not seen. I consider it a myth until some real evidence (beyond hearsay) surfaces. It is of course possible that some builders have it, others don’t, and some may even have discontinued it.

The problem here is that it’s something that’s not covered by the class rules but the construction manual, which is a confidential document. Not even the whole ILCA leadership allegedly has access to it.

(Would a metal detector find the disc? Has anybody tried...?)

_

Stainless wear plates - If you need the 1mm thick stainless disk per the class specifications to simply drop in the step. Even if they are built in the class allows one to be dropped in.
We sell them here at Midwest Sailing. We also have the self- adhesive class allowed slick strips that can be applied around the mast at the base and at deck level.
Direct email [email protected]

Back