Mast step failure. Repair.

rblaineebert

Any suggestions for replacing/repairing the entire capri 14 mast step structure? Has has anybody done this?

Bought a Mod 1 from 1984-86 earlier this year. It had been used by a local yacht club and stored outdoors in our notoriously wet conditions (Seattle). When I bought it I noticed some cracks around the mast step. Upon closer investigations it appears the plywood inside the cuddy that supports the wood mast step block had rotted and allowed for some movement. I had read, here, that there is not much pressure on the mast step so I was not too concerned. Also the boat was only $350, so I figured the risk was worth it.

Have taken her out in light-to-moderate winds with no issues. Well, took her out yesterday in 10-15kts with some heavier gusts. There was two of us aboard, +/- 380lbs hiking out. She was handling it well for about an hour and then without warning on a close-haul, bang! the mast went down. No shroud had broken. The noise was the wood block under the mast-step snapping under downward pressure. The mast collapsed down into the hull and then fell over under the wind. I am still unclear how this downward pressure would have been applied but clearly with the rotted out vertical supports, the wood block mast-step had weakened over time and was not strong enough. Additionally the steel shackle connecting the vang to the boom had snapped. I think this happened when the Vang encountered the edge of the hull on its way down but I am not sure.

Luckily, we had a trolling motor on board and made it back safe. Now for the repairs. I know I will need to replace the plywood vertical supports on both sides of the cuddy as well the wood block under the mast step. Have done a little fiberglass work but nothing structural like this. Anybody done anything like this? Any suggestions?

The more tension in the shrouds the more down pressure in the mast. You will just have to reglass it and put in a new block in. It is not necessary to glass over the wood block though. That will actually catch the water and accelerate rot. Some through bolt the mast step to the wood and some screw it as originally done. If you through bolt and have a shroud failure it will tear out the deck as compared to the screws pulling out of the wood, saving the deck.

Any suggestions for replacing/repairing the entire capri 14 mast step structure? Has has anybody done this?

Bought a Mod 1 from 1984-86 earlier this year. It had been used by a local yacht club and stored outdoors in our notoriously wet conditions (Seattle). When I bought it I noticed some cracks around the mast step. Upon closer investigations it appears the plywood inside the cuddy that supports the wood mast step block had rotted and allowed for some movement. I had read, here, that there is not much pressure on the mast step so I was not too concerned. Also the boat was only $350, so I figured the risk was worth it.

Have taken her out in light-to-moderate winds with no issues. Well, took her out yesterday in 10-15kts with some heavier gusts. There was two of us aboard, +/- 380lbs hiking out. She was handling it well for about an hour and then without warning on a close-haul, bang! the mast went down. No shroud had broken. The noise was the wood block under the mast-step snapping under downward pressure. The mast collapsed down into the hull and then fell over under the wind. I am still unclear how this downward pressure would have been applied but clearly with the rotted out vertical supports, the wood block mast-step had weakened over time and was not strong enough. Additionally the steel shackle connecting the vang to the boom had snapped. I think this happened when the Vang encountered the edge of the hull on its way down but I am not sure.

Luckily, we had a trolling motor on board and made it back safe. Now for the repairs. I know I will need to replace the plywood vertical supports on both sides of the cuddy as well the wood block under the mast step. Have done a little fiberglass work but nothing structural like this. Anybody done anything like this? Any suggestions?

Attachments

• C14 mast support fix.pdf
    310.1 KB · Views: 135
Thanks for the plans, unfortunately the vertical supports are have rotted out and failed, which I believe is the primary cause of the mast failure. I have purchased some marine ply to replace the supports and some hardwood to replace the beam. Here some photos of the original damage.

Attachments

• Mast Failure.jpeg
    Mast Failure.jpeg
    65 KB · Views: 94
  • Vertical suports rotted away.jpeg
    Vertical suports rotted away.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Other side not as damaged.jpeg
    Other side not as damaged.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Beam torn down.jpeg
    Beam torn down.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 104
Thanks for the plans, unfortunately the vertical supports are have rotted out and failed, which I believe is the primary cause of the mast failure. I have purchased some marine ply to replace the supports and some hardwood to replace the beam. Here some photos of the original damage.

Not sure if you attacked this yet... but I had a similar problem... as reported in this thread...
http://sailingforums.com/threads/loose-mast-step.33752/
Loose mast step | SailingForums.com

Back