Mast step deck repair advice

SailingDragons

Hello! This is my first time posting on this forum. Our Capri 14.2 had a bit of a catastrophe last summer when the mast fell down (long story) and ripped up some of the deck. We’re now trying to figure out how to repair this. Pics attached.

Do you think we could just fill it all in with something like West System? Maybe add a thin aluminum plate for extra support with the bolts? I know this will add more weight to the boat and that if we ever were to have a similar mast issue the whole deck would rip up again, but we’re okay with that. Or should we really replace the core with wood the original way?

Attachments

• E4EEB10B-DA9D-426A-A489-00961436C01D.jpeg
    E4EEB10B-DA9D-426A-A489-00961436C01D.jpeg
    860.3 KB · Views: 82
  • C761D57C-CE03-4A9B-A07A-EBB7804B7A2B.jpeg
    C761D57C-CE03-4A9B-A07A-EBB7804B7A2B.jpeg
    380.8 KB · Views: 59
Go back through the posts and you'll see two different approaches to the repair. In those cases the root cause of failure was a rotted support beam. I suggest taking a real hard look at the condition of your beam to assure it can hold up for the long term. If it's solid I'm sure a custom made piece of stainless (maybe 1/4" thick?), configured to match the outline of the flat area . Also, since the bolts all got ripped out of the beam you may want to do another plate below. Maybe consult with a good weld/fab shop and have something nice made up. If you elect to replace the whole beam, then see the post where that method's shown. Lots of work, for sure. Alternatively you could cantilever a support below the beam and rebuild the failed areas with epoxy. This preserves the integrity of the deck and also a ton of restoration work! That's the method shown in my posts "Save the Mistress".
This support beam is the heart of the Capri, if it fails the boat becomes a candidate for the dumpster! I still feel thay could have made it out of something more durable than wood.....
Anytime you have questions, feel free to ask.
Cheers!

Go back through the posts and you'll see two different approaches to the repair. In those cases the root cause of failure was a rotted support beam. I suggest taking a real hard look at the condition of your beam to assure it can hold up for the long term. If it's solid I'm sure a custom made piece of stainless (maybe 1/4" thick?), configured to match the outline of the flat area . Also, since the bolts all got ripped out of the beam you may want to do another plate below. Maybe consult with a good weld/fab shop and have something nice made up. If you elect to replace the whole beam, then see the post where that method's shown. Lots of work, for sure. Alternatively you could cantilever a support below the beam and rebuild the failed areas with epoxy. This preserves the integrity of the deck and also a ton of restoration work! That's the method shown in my posts "Save the Mistress".
This support beam is the heart of the Capri, if it fails the boat becomes a candidate for the dumpster! I still feel thay could have made it out of something more durable than wood.....
Anytime you have questions, feel free to ask.
Cheers!
Thanks so much for the advice and direction! I started reading some of your “Save the Mistress” posts but need to continue reading your repair adventure.

It seems like a lot of work; we’re still debating hiring it out vs doing it ourselves (both working full time with three young kids makes the free time limited). I do think the cantilever approach may be a little easier for us but, as you say, still a lot of work. For epoxy used in the failed beam areas, do you think the West Systems 404 high density filler would be best, compared to the 406 or any of the others? (If this type of info is in your other posts, no need to reply; I’ll check them out!) Thanks, aquaman

See post #88 to Small outboard motors on Capri 14.2 (about mid March 2023) and follow up on aquaman's various threads, which are excellent. If you are going to spend the time and money to repair the damage I think it only makes sense to replace the support "beam" and repair fiberglass. Especially if you intend to keep the boat, keep it safe, and sail with kids (and eventually to allow them to sail by themselves); safety and security over trying to shortcut the repairs. It is hard to underestimate the compression forces on the mast support and any significant base support deflection will possibly lead to another dismasting. The 14.2 is a great sailing dinghy, somewhat tender in the centerboard version, and can probably withstand more excitement than we can. Just this old sailor's two cents worth.

Back