Mast Step Chips - how to fix

Nephroid

One of the many ways that my Minifish differs from my sunfish is that the interior of the mast tube appear to be unfinished and without paint or gelcoat. In inspecting mine I started to notice several chips in the resin, oftentimes exposing the roving underneath.

I've never really worked with fiberglass before but would like to take a shot a filling these in. I'm wondering if these look superficial enough to just fill in w/ resin, or will a more involved repair be neccesary?

If just resin, are there any tips of matching the smooth contour of the mast step interior? I suppose I could just put down resin and sand away any excess. What do you think?

IMG_1050.jpgIMG_1051.jpgIMG_1052.JPG

Mix up some epoxy resin with thickener to about stiff mayo thickness and brush it on the damaged areas with a disposable paintrush taped to a stick. Let cure and then sand smooth with 60 grit sandpaper stapled to a large dowel. If you have a drill mounted drum sander with an extension bit. so much the better.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

One of the many ways that my Minifish differs from my sunfish is that the interior of the mast tube appear to be unfinished and without paint or gelcoat. In inspecting mine I started to notice several chips in the resin, oftentimes exposing the roving underneath. I've never really worked with fiberglass before but would like to take a shot a filling these in. I'm wondering if these look superficial enough to just fill in w/ resin, or will a more involved repair be necessary? If just resin, are there any tips of matching the smooth contour of the mast step interior? I suppose I could just put down resin and sand away any excess. What do you think?
I suspect your boat left the factory "perfect", but mishandling the mast—while inserting it—can stress the fiberglass roving cloth.

Mix up some epoxy resin with thickener to about stiff mayo thickness and brush it on the damaged areas with a disposable paintrush taped to a stick. Let cure and then sand smooth with 60 grit sandpaper stapled to a large dowel. If you have a drill mounted drum sander with an extension bit. so much the better.

Thanks, Alan. I was thinking of a similar approach. Will give this a try.

I suspect your boat left the factory "perfect", but mishandling the mast—while inserting it—can stress the fiberglass roving cloth.

Yes. They look consistent with something striking the inside of the mast step at an angle to the interior surface.

I just made the exact same repair to my Sunfish. I think this condition can come from sitting over time as well. My Sunfish was used infrequently for the first several years and then sat unused for probably 30 years. Scroll down in my thread and you will see my repair: 1979 Sunfish restoration

Back