Mast Step Attachment

Cousin01

I recently dismasted when a shroud broke. the mast step bracket screws sheared off neatly with no damage to the step. From what I have read here, these are number 10 wood screws. Right?

I'm planning to try an ez-out to remove them. Any other ideas?

You might want to try a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel. Slowly (so as not to get too hot and burn the fibreglass) cut a screwdriver slot in the exposed end of the screw. If you cut a little into the gelcoat no biggie. Those are smaaaal screws to drill out for an easyout!

Thise screws are stainless, you would have a very hard time drilling them for the easy out .

The dremel tool would be my "go to" also , if there any part of the screw sticking above the gelcoat , I would use a pair of needlenose vice grips. I never leave port without one :)

Good luck,

Rob

Progress report and questions

The Dremel was the way to go. Plus a new project is always an excuse for a new tool!.

I have a mod 2 (I think - plastic cuddy tunnel with no cover.) The mast step sits on the deck which appears to be plastic over wood. the screws go thru the plastic into the wood.

In slotting the screw shanks I made a mess of the area around a couple of the screws.

(1) I'm thinking little drink stirrer straws down the holes and then marine tex epoxy around them to level the deck.

(2) The plastic deck has a few surface cracks from flexing when the mast went down. I'm thinking I can 'V" these out with a gouge and then refill with marine tex.

Survey says.........?

In slotting the screw shanks I made a mess of the area around a couple of the screws.

(1) I'm thinking little drink stirrer straws down the holes and then marine tex epoxy around them to level the deck.

It's really hard to say without a picture or two. Won't the step bracket cover the damage when it's re-installed?

(2) The plastic deck has a few surface cracks from flexing when the mast went down. I'm thinking I can 'V" these out with a gouge and then refill with marine tex.

Survey says.........?

My Mod 2 is so covered with gelcoat cracks, it would take a month to repair them all. Even as they are, it's hard to see them from more than a couple feet away. Unless you can easily flex them open, which indicates the underlying layers are cracked or broken, I wouldn't bother. But maybe that's just me.

Back