Mast snapped - can I use conduit?

Zoe B

The mast just snapped on my lovely 52-year old Sunfish that this forum helped me restore in 2018. It looks like I could use aluminium conduit as a replacement (since shipping the replacement from Michigan is prohibitive). Anyone have experience of this? There doesn't seem to be much of a second hand market for these!

Any recommendations?

I found a place closer by - thanks for the nudge. The mast does look just like electrical conduit to me? Do you know of anyone trying that?

Sunfish mast: (published spec) 10' x 2 1/4" OD (.083" wall) and it is aluminum.

You could compare that to what you can get in conduit.

I looked into it when my mast snapped a while back. I could find ally tube that matched the spec but it wasn't anodised so I gave LP a load of money instead.

I sell used Sunfish masts for $65 but can't ship them (oversize, very expensive shipping). I am in Upstate NY near Syracuse. If you can arrange pick-up.
I am happy to sell you one.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

Alan will also drive it hundreds of miles to your house if you offer him a cup of coffee and a blueberry muffin...

Alan and Kent Feb 2015.jpg

I sell used Sunfish masts for $65 but can't ship them (oversize, very expensive shipping). I am in Upstate NY near Syracuse. If you can arrange pick-up.
I am happy to sell you one.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY
Gotcha. You're a bit far from me. Found new supplier an hour away, so I'll do that, I think

Back