Mast retaining line

iain_CAN165061

Which style do you use? Which style is best? Why? I’m really interested, so anyone's input would be greatly appreciated!

there are three types i have seen:
-the standard (see attached pictures)
-the kind that atteches from the gooseneck and the block base with line (see attached pictures)
-the kind that atteches from the gooseneck and the block base with shockcord (it used to be on a rooster information guide, but not anymore)

Attachments

• new.jpg
    new.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 168
  • standard.jpg
    standard.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 156
Which style do you use? - the standard (line from one pad-eye on the block-base, up around the mast, above the vang-tang, and continuing around back to the other pad-eye).

The only problem I've had is sometimes the line pulls tight and then the crossover locks up solid. there are some terrible sounding noises as the pad-eye is loaded up quite a bit. Carefully adjusting the length seems to reduce the problem.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

i use the standard. thats what my boat came with. I made this post because the kind that atteches from the gooseneck and the block base with line intersted me. and i wanted to see if anyone uses it. -somehitng new to satisfy my craveing for maxing the power of the rig- though, it woundnt do much of nehting.

I dont actually have an acutal mass retaining line...my cunningham holds it in from falling, i know its not the greatest because it can come up a couple inches and fall back down, but its been lalright so far. Though i do not believe its class legal anymore

The year of August said:
i know its not the greatest because it can come up a couple inches and fall back down, but its been lalright so far.
The problem comes when the mast rises up a few inches and then get loaded up. I'm told the mast-step tube is not as strong in the middle as it is at the ends and it's possible to break the tube if there is substantial side-force on the mast when it's not fully seated in the step.

Though i do not believe its class legal anymore
Correct. (Bylaw 1, Part 2, Sect. 3(b)xi)

Cheers,

Geoff S.

i use what i guess you are calling the "standard" set-up, but with a twist. i've been told by several coaches (especially bern, the harvard coach) that it puts too much load on the padeyes if you tie it off there. instead, the way to go is to run it continuously through the padeyes and tie a squareknot after doing the crossover. this has stopped all the "awful noises" mine used to make.
i think the load on the padeyes would also be a problem in the gooseneck-padeye tiedown.

kendall

I use the standard too and I don't have much trouble with it. In fact, the only problem I've had is when we go under tow and use our mainsheets for towlines. If the wind shifts and you're not holding onto your boom, the mast can swing completely around until it gets held on by only the control lines and that mast retaining line. In effect, it puts huge stress on the deck mounted pulley plate. It has bent my plate before and tore a person I know's plate right off. I reckon this may happen with any system though. The only way to really prevent this is to untie all control lines and the mast retaining line under tow.

Several at our club use shock cord passed thru the cunninham plate eyes, knotted off to form a triangle then a loop which you just pop over the gooseneck prior to attaching the vang. It is the right length when the loop that goes over the gooseneck is a bit loose and doesn't need to be stretched on, that allows for mast rotation. Bonus is we pass the centreboard shock cord, running from the bow thru the triangle, and that keeps it low & not messing withthe control lines. All this is with the new style turbo rigging. It stays there when you unrig etc so you don't need to tie & untie each day. If I can figure out how to attach a picture here I will.
I have never tried the "supplied" retainer line.

Hey Hariet,
Its an interesting idea. I think I understand it, but pictures are always fun. To attach:
-Click 'Post Reply'
-Look down the page for a window labeled 'Additional Options'
-There is a semi window inside, 'Attach Files'
-Click 'Manage Attachments'
-Go from there = )

On ya Keiran, & thanks Iain, I had all that attachment stuff okay but the file size was too big! and I couldn't get it any smaller....will have to take low res. photo next time. All that verbal doo dah and a picture tells a thousand words!

Maybe the knot isn't necessary for mast retention purposes, but it keeps the centreboard shocky in the lower part and out of the way. Also it stands up by itself, and would probably just flop on the deck without the knot.
I have a resourceful other half who thinks of ways to minimise wear, and in the mast step there is a 1mm teflon plastic sheet shim ( passed scrutiny at the Aussie nationals and I believe class rules permit it). We also put a teflon plastic disc with a hole in the middle for the dimple, in the botton of mast step. Very important if you're in a sandy environment, and also class legal. Got no answer for the front of the centerboard casing though! Another innovation if your boom gets wear scratches from the cunningham block, is a piece of 50mm plastic plumbers pipe about 150mm long, split lengthways (on the underside of the boom) and with a slot about 20mm wide and 60mm long to slide over the gooseneck frame. This fills in the gap between teh end of the boom and the mast which also saves your ropes. This also passed scrutiny at the Nats but debatable as to legality re class rules. Seeing as to just slides off its no big deal not to use it at Assn regattas but saves wear used at club level at least...We are just about starting a new thread idea now!

Dear shockcorders, we usa a thread, tíed in a small loop thru both padeyes. A rope, running down from the goosneck of the boom, connects to this loop with a hook. So it is easy to rig an unrig and the loop holds the centerboardshockies well on decklevel. This construction allowes the mast to turn freely but in vertical direction only 2 centimeters.

Sail till the ice holds the boat, george

Iain, Georg is talking about a thin line which goes in a loop thru the eyes for the XD-basicplate for the Cunny-/Outhaulblocks. This loop is attached with a hook by a line that is knoted to the goosneckfitting.

LooserLu said:
Iain, Georg is talking about a thin line which goes in a loop thru the eyes for the XD-basicplate for the Cunny-/Outhaulblocks. This loop is attached with a hook by a line that is knoted to the goosneckfitting.
Thx, thats what I meant. Sorry for my poor English

Back