Mast retaining line issue

Levent

Anyone has a good way to set up the mast retaining line (with a picture). I've tried different things, I had a bad experience with the mast rotating 180 deg, I bent the deck plate. I think the bungee may be a good solution.

I came up with this method on a windless day at the club a couple of weeks ago. Sorry no picture.
A line goes through the two metal loops on the deck plate from port side. Pull it till you get to a stopper knot on the end. Now pass it back the way it came, leave a small loop starboard side. [This loop is used to pass the plate elastic through from the bow - keeps it away from the xd kicker]. Now continue the line around the front of the mast clockwise. When it comes back take it OVER the kicker tang and round the mast again. Now do a simple thumb [granny] knot onto the top of the loop with the kicker elastic in it, and then a stopper knot, cut the excess line off.
Leave a bit of slack in the system to allow 180 rotation of mast and for undoing the thumb knot to derig. It should cope with more than 180 ok - for when you leave the rig up in the boatpark with mainsheet undone. Check this before finally cutting to length. Its quick to rig.
If that does not make sense I can get a pic in a couple of weeks, gotta sail a Flying Dutchman this w/e.

I think I get the general idea but a picture would really help :) Thanks for sharing you're discovery with us.

Here at last, no photo but even better have done a sketch. Hope its attached!:confused:

Attachments

• Laser RetentionLine.jpg
    Laser RetentionLine.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 195
Strangler's sketch is basically the way I do it, but I do it slightly simpler -- I use a really thin line and just tie a square not in it.

Back