Mast Rake

squash

I have two Sunfish and the Mast Rake is not the same on each. This is due to different mast-step angle placement during manufacturing.

Measuring from the top of the mast to the transom, there is a two inch difference between the two boats.

Does anyone know how this affects performance?

Very interesting. I don't think I know of anyone who has ever checked the rake on a Sunfish. Laser sailors used to check Lasers and find differences.

I don't know what difference you would find, but at least with a Sunfish (vs a Laser) you can compensate by moving the gooseneck. You'd need to measure a bunch of fish to see if one of your boats has its mast too far aft or the other is too far forward. Lets say one has its mast too far aft - if you moved the gooseneck slightly further back on that one, it would have the effect of putting the sailplan back roughly where it would be if the mast was as vertical as it should be. BB

I'm new here but noticed in both Lasers and Sunfish, the 'slop' in the mast step will give you about 2" of rake play at the mast top. An 1/8th inch of slop will give you that and can be shimmed if it bothers you. As beldar said, on a Sunfish, it shouldn't matter since you have gooseneck and halyard adjustments. As a Vagabond 14 sailor, rake matters and is adjustable at the stays. As a new Sunfish sailor (me...my boat is a 1981 model) I've had a ton of fun messing with the gooseneck/halyard adjustments, sitting in the boat on the water. Can't do that with the Vagabond.

Back