Mast needed for 80's sunfish

Hi all

I would like to start by thanking you guys & girls for some help you gave me last Aug. when I asked as to a safe way to get a friends sunfish from New York to Quebec Canada on his Volvo. The boat is here!

This boat is a early 80s AMF alcott sunfish that is in perfect shape (gel coat still shines) has been used perhaps 10 times in its entire life and garage sailed the rest of the time. I looked at the rigging guide that is on the Vanguard site and I notice that the boat is missing the mast.

Question: Will a new Vanguard supplied mast be a direct replacement for the old early 80's mast? Would anyone here have a spar they would like to sell? The boat is going to be used by a 13 year old that is keen to get on the water...no racing, at least not yet.

Thanks in advance once again.

Question: Will a new Vanguard supplied mast be a direct replacement for the old early 80's mast?

Yes!

Would anyone here have a spar they would like to sell? The boat is going to be used by a 13 year old that is keen to get on the water...

Sorry; can't help with that. Unfortunately, new masts are not inexpensive because of transportation charges etc.

Try a aluminum recycler/salvage place. :)

For a chainlink fence post, I bought a much bigger piece of aluminum pipe (than a mast) for just $5. It sure looks a lot like a stop-sign post, though! :eek:

You could sleeve something suitable with a split PVC pipe—or duct-tape—to the size that will fit snugly until a mast turns up in your neighborhood as a proper-sized Sunfish part. Anything to get out there sailing! :cool:

PS: I should have advised you to check the "For Sale" section (see the post by Ryan) on this forum, and to post an ad for a mast in the "Wanted" section.

Try a aluminum recycler/salvage place. :)

For a chainlink fence post, I bought a much bigger piece of aluminum pipe (than a mast) for just $5. It sure looks a lot like a stop-sign post, though! :eek:

You could sleeve something suitable with a split PVC pipe—or duct-tape—to the size that will fit snugly until a mast turns up in your neighborhood as a proper-sized Sunfish part. Anything to get out there sailing! :cool:

An equally practical suggestion would to be to find a tree with a trunk the same diameter as the mast. Cut the tree down and remove all the branches, and saw the trunk off at the right height. Drill a hole thru the top of the trunk/mast to run the halyard thru. Be sure to send pictures of this for us to see. BB

Just wondering: How did the seller get away with not having a mast?

Fred

The boat was given to my non sailing friend by his equally non sailing brother when the his house was sold. The son for my friend wants to sail the boat. Unfortunately for him I have only seen a sunfish once and never up close. If this was a Laser or 505 I could be of a lot more help

I bought a mast last august from my local vanguard dealer for about $130. I don't think he charged me for the shipping due to the fact that he quoted me the wrong price initially and then felt too bad to add it in at the last second. It worked out well for me. My sunfish is at least from the 80's and the new mast is identical to the old one. Good luck

Back