Mast end caps.

alg

I have a near 50 year old boat. One of the masthead cap pins is gone, the other pretty well intact. I planned to merely try to replace the pin, but on further review, the cap is worn to the point the halyard is now digging into the mast edge. So I will replace. Question is, will pins supplied with most dealer caps suffice, or will I need bigger pins. All three spars look “tired”, but the boat sails great for my purpose. And the hull is dry. I do not want to put any more holes in the mast. Besides, I put a cleat on the mast for rigging the halyard and want to use the original holes. I’m thinking jb weld then redrill. If I have to. I would get slightly larger pins if that is an option. Thanks in advance.

I have a near 50 year old boat. One of the masthead cap pins is gone, the other pretty well intact. I planned to merely try to replace the pin, but on further review, the cap is worn to the point the halyard is now digging into the mast edge. So I will replace. Question is, will pins supplied with most dealer caps suffice, or will I need bigger pins. All three spars look “tired”, but the boat sails great for my purpose. And the hull is dry. I do not want to put any more holes in the mast. Besides, I put a cleat on the mast for rigging the halyard and want to use the original holes. I’m thinking jb weld then redrill. If I have to. I would get slightly larger pins if that is an option. Thanks in advance.

Drill & use aluminum rivets.

The new pins will work. The plastic on the cap will capture them, don't overdrill the old holes. Put a dab of JBWeld on the pin if it concerns you.

Back