Mast Cleat

sailorf2

I've been wanting to install a cleat on my mast for a while now, mainly because its hard to pass my halyard through the fairlead three times. But I was wondering about how high on the mast it should be. Thanks for your help.

Steve

From the ISCA class rules:

3.5.9 One cleat of any type may be installed on the mast not more than four (4’) feet from the base, for cleating the line used to tie the ‘Jens Rig’ (Ref. Rule 3.7.3). It may also be used to cleat the halyard. If utilized, there must be some means to securely attach the rig to the hull using the end of the halyard.

If you plan to race (or plan to ever sell the boat to someone who might race), that might be a good outer limit to keep in mind.

Kevin

I just buy the Hobie Cat 16 replacement mast cleat kit. It comes with pop rivets with waterproofing cups and the cleat.

I've done this 5 times now for my boats and friends.

I have come to the conclusion that any small aluminum horn cleat is good.

For fasteners, use fine threaded stainless bolts/machine screws, the largest that will countersink into the holes on the top of the cleat. Locate and drill the holes for the cleat carefully and make sure you have it lined up with the hole in the mast top so the line will come down the side of the mast. I actually install the cleats one hole at a time so that I can have the cleat partially installed when drilling the second hole.

Drill one size smaller than the fasteners you are using and then, probably best with the cleat out, thread the fastener into the aluminum. With some brute strength, the soft aluminum will thread nicely. I would not recommend an electric screwdriver or drill to thread the fasteners into the aluminum. Just a good screwdriver and go slow.

Remove the fasteners and install the cleats into your nice threaded holes. I use liquid threadlocker too. When installing I wouldn't go torque crazy as I'm pretty sure you could strip the threads in the soft aluminum.

Remember that the halyard tail should still go to the deck cleat even if you are not running a "vang". This will make sure the mast will not fly out of the hole if you capsize. That would be a very bad experience!!!

Back