Mast cap stuck in mast well(tube)

charliesaini

like the title says, mast came out, cap stayed at the bottom. I've tried fitting the mast back on the cap.. nogo, any suggestions?

Large drill bits for wood have a large "starter" screw on their tips. You could chuck one in a drill or "brace" and retrieve it that way. Caulk the hole, and reattach it to the mast.

Large drill bits for wood have a large "starter" screw on their tips. You could chuck one in a drill or "brace" and retrieve it that way. Caulk the hole, and reattach it to the mast.
Or leave the hole in when done to facilitate draining the mast after each sail

like the title says, mast came out, cap stayed at the bottom. I've tried fitting the mast back on the cap.. nogo, any suggestions?
Pressure washer--but use the wand with discretion! :eek: (Damage to the mast step is possible).

You'll stay drier using compressed air (with a metal blower extension--$5 at Harbor Freight stores).

I would take a piece of wood that will reach the bottom and stick out above the deck. Put some plumbers putty on the stick a push down on the cap, let set up. I would flip the boat an slowly work the stick slowly to remove the cap.

Good idea, using a stick. Everyone can find one, while air compressors and pressure washers may not fall readily to hand.

Not sure epoxy will stick (well enough) to the cap. I'd use Shoe Goo. There's a 24-hour wait for it to cure, but it's strong and will release with some effort.

Back