Mark on bottom

JuanCH

Hi there, is this mark normal on the hull? Some say it’s normal , it’s where the mast sits, kind of reinforced spot.

Attachments

• 051AF096-EF14-4ADD-8D03-997FB3300DE3.jpeg
    051AF096-EF14-4ADD-8D03-997FB3300DE3.jpeg
    726.4 KB · Views: 72
There should be a very low circular indent on the bottom at the mast step. I believe it’s a product of the building process, and it’s actually illegal to fill or fair it!

Yours looks square-ish and larger than others that I’ve paid attention to, though. How old is that boat and who built it? Have you compared it to others?

_

There should be a very low circular indent on the bottom at the mast step. I believe it’s a product of the building process, and it’s actually illegal to fill or fair it!

Yours looks square-ish and larger than others that I’ve paid attention to, though. How old is that boat and who built it? Have you compared it to others?

_
2011 UK made.

Ok, thanks. It appears to follow the outline of the plywood piece in which the bottom end of the mast step tube sits. That's unlike the ones I've paid attention to, which have traced the shape (and size) of the tube only. Maybe I've only looked at old boats like mine :D

This is what a crossection looks like (that's an early-2000s Vanguard if I remember it right):

IMG_0943.jpg.6e64ac078523497b3ff9963c2ff86609.jpg

But the bottom line is that I don't think you should worry about that in any way. Interesting curiosity at most.

_

My 2006 UK boat had the same and ive seen it on other boats too. Spoke to an Olympic laser sailor and she said its typical of some of the older (not that 2011 is old) but just reflects building standards of the time. My 2019 boat doesnt have it at all

Back