Mark II Standard Sail

Having used the MKII for a year and after talking with other sailors with the MKII I have a slightly different view to Torrid and Wavedancer.

The big advantage with the MKII is it is far easier to see how the sail is set because the kicker, outhaul and sheet change make more obvious changes to the shape of the sailand you will therefore learn more quickly.

I also believe you are likeley to find the MKII more enjoyable to sail because of the way it handles.

I would not bother with a replica until they are copying the MKII but personally feel we should all support our class builders and sailmakers.

Finally got out for my first spring sail with the new sail. Here are my impressions, sailing in variable wind from drifting to light hiking.

It is much easier to adjust the controls and get a nice sail shape. Nice looking, though I'm not sure how fast. I was able to adjust the cunningham to get rid of luff wrinkles without any nasty creases radiating from where the mast sections join. Note I did not have any packing tape on the collar of the upper mast (this has been on my to-do list, but I may put if off now).

The sail controls felt more linear. For example, it was pretty clear at which point the cunningham gave the best sail shape. Likewise, I felt more response when sheeting out the main in a puff. Normally I can't sheet out fast enough, then suddenly the boat slams flat. With the new sail, I felt it gradually depowering as I let out.

My impression is that a novice or less technical sailor will be able to get better sail shape in light to moderate winds with the new sail. A more advanced sailor who has been strangling the old design the same way for years to get an extra 0.1 knot may not be as happy with it.

So what are the latest thoughts on this? If you were going upwind for a few miles in exactly the same conditions with a sailor of exactly the same quality would a new mark 2 or a new original sail pop out in front? Similarly, what would be the case downwind.

The word I have heard is that the mark 2 is significantly faster upwind and slightly slower downwind....

I raced my new old design sail in a fleet with new, new sails in an open District event in July. One guy and I fought neck and neck for 1st the whole regatta. He had the new, new sail and I a new, old sail. Wind ranged from 5-18 knots over the two days. In the end we both agreed neither sail offered much advantage over the other. Clean starts, good boat handling and solid tactics played a much more important role. The other guy is a really good sailor and was on the US Sailing team in the mid-90's trying to qualify for the 96 games in the Finn class. However, there's no Finn's in the Carolinas so he was thick into Lasers for his practice regattas/time on the water, (I used to race against him back then as well). I did win a race and had several where I was in front, but he just out sailed me. I did feel like he had a small advantage DW. I will be buying the new design soon.

Back