manual cockpit bailer?

Mark Boyd

I have a cockpit bailer that has not float ball.. it in fact seems to simply be a manually operated valve. I guess the skipper has to manually open the valve while sailing to drain the cockpit and remember to close it before coming to a stop. Am I understanding this thing correctly?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

MB

Attachments

• 9-21-2011_bailer.png
    9-21-2011_bailer.png
    143.9 KB · Views: 34
I've managed to bust-off only the "reverse-scoop" part of my bailer. Has anyone found that a similarly-damaged bailer won't drain the cockpit "at speed"?

If the scoop is broken off, you might have lost the ball too. Also, the scoop makes the vacuum required to drain the cockpit, so if you've broken it enough to make it lose its ability to make a vacuum, it won't drain.

I find the ball feature to be nearly useless at slow speeds, and use the attached plug. If its windy enough to take on water, it's windy enough for the bailer to work well.

I've managed to bust-off only the "reverse-scoop" part of my bailer. Has anyone found that a similarly-damaged bailer won't drain the cockpit "at speed"?

The principle is that the higher speed of the water flowing around the "reverse scoop" will draw out the water from the tub (Bernoulli effect, as I recall). Whatever, it sounds like you will need to invest in a new (plastic) bailer, if you want your bailer to work as intended.

The scoop has two pins that keep the ball from falling out. If you broke it the ball is surely gone.
Get a new bailer.
Fred

Looking back, I see that Mark Boyd's photo shows a bailer unlike any Sunfish bailer I've seen...:oops:

Back