Making Up for a Quiet Hurricane Season...

LVW

Winds are building in the Caribbean to make a Tropical Storm named Ian. It is expected to grow to hurricane strength once it passes Cuba. Described as another Hurricsne Charley, (of which I felt the falling tree effects in Central Florida) Florida members should be alerted.

Right now, their guess is landfall along Florida's Panhandle in line with inland Tallahassee--Florida's capital. Of course hurricanes are very unpredictable, so "stay tuned"

For forecast winds in your area, add your ZIP Code at:

(No registration needed).

People ask us "Why did you move from your beautiful bayfront home?" Tropical storms were not the top reason, but they were bumping up against it. We had a great time for a decade but moved on to new adventures in a different part of the country. I can say with certainty that I don't miss the storm prep, the storm or the recovery. Rinse and repeat.

Weather guessers give a broad brush to forecasts, but what we found is that we have to know our local conditions, down to not only zip code to street address.

Our storm prep. June to November.
9CCECBAB-17D9-4B8D-864D-4E397C9E36F7.jpeg
9485524B-DFCA-44ED-85B1-3FA61F9D32A0.jpeg

Take ROXY to Power Boats in Trinidad. Haul out on the hard, air condition, shrink wrap. Enjoy the northern Michigan summer.

Hope for a storm swing and a miss.

Friends moved from the Florida Keys to Englewood--just south of Ft. Myers. Ian's "storm surge" is predicted to be 12-16 feet there. That would normally be just a "tide", but it's delivered through a fire hose! :eek:

The area is packed with very-new homes, old homes, and mobile homes. :(

Even Orlando and Jacksonville are going to be hit. I have a very bad feeling about this hurricane!

Hurricane Ian's eye went directly over my house! :eek:

As much as I was worried about my house, I am now concerned about my entire neighborhood and neighbors. :(

My neighborhood text-source has probably escaped to the SE coast--well-distanced from flooding and winds.

A scrolling chyron reads Lee County Sheriff says, fatalities in the hundreds. SURELY that's an error! (Like other news this morning that "North Korea is an ally"). :rolleyes:

Update:

Only a yard to clean up. :cool:

This hurricane wasn't as bad as it was hyped to be--mostly flooding damage--and less wind damage than Andrew (1992).

The town of Ft. Myers excepted, of course...:rolleyes:

Ian definitely a big one. Lots of infrastructure to wreck compared to the past. Lots of construction barely above sea level.

All in all this has been a minor year. We noted colder warmer throughout the Caribbean diving and snorkeling. That portends fewer storms. It’s almost over. In 2016-17 we noted waters about 3.5 degrees warmer. Big storm season. C’mon November!

Roxy is in Trinidad. We are in Panama as I write, on our way by air. Launch in two weeks and skip to Antigua.

Back