What's new

Making New Grab Rails Out of Wood

wjejr

Does anyone have a cross session picture of a wood grab rail for a Laser? Also, any thoughts on what type of wood was originally used? I think the ones on my first Laser (33409) were white oak or maybe ash. Cannot remember for sure, it was a long time ago.

I have plastic ones on the boat now, see pictures of broken end, but as I am stuck at home like most everyone, I decided I could make a pair.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

The original grab rails were ash. Ash is light but it doesn't hold up to water intrusion that well and permanently turns black when that happens. I know our local sailing program remade a bunch of grabrails to fix the broken ones and just routered out the bottom edge to give a handle-- other than that they were pretty square and basic. They worked and are still attached to the boats we put them on about 5 years later. Whatever wood you use, I would recommend sealing the wood with epoxy prior to finish to reduce long-term maintenance.

If you're sailing recreationally, I bet the Intensity Sails website has some non-class-legal plastic grabrails for cheap if you'd rather go the zero-maintenance route.