making a Super Sunfish rig

nikobrogna

Hi guys,
my name's nick, I am fifteen years old, and had been sailing my little minifish since I was ten, until it was unfortunately, recently stolen. I used a normal 75 sq. foot sunfish sail. I weigh about 100 pounds and the boat was a thrill to sail when the wind was really blowing. I always loved sailing my little minifish and making it go as fast as I could. I made all kinds of modifications, installing main sheeting deck tackle, outhauls, all kinds of telltales and even a boomang. I always considered trying to construct a 65 or so sq. ft. laser/ super sunfish marconi rig. I ended up deciding against this, feeling that it would be a bit much for my little boat. I am now purchasing an old full sized sunfish hull (through this site) I plan on sanding down most scratches, and spraying on a new gelcoat, as well as a graphite/ epoxy rolled on bottom coat. I also want to Make a laser type rig. I am wondering if this would cause excessive leeward helm, by moving a lot of sail further forward, closer to the mast step with a rig less squat then the normal lateen rig. I would also prefer to be able to hoist and lower the sail with a halyard (no sleeve around the mast). Maybe a luff line in an aluminum track? I would appreciate any information on turning a sunfish into a "super sunfish." Thanks.

As an addition to my previos message, I would like to know if such a, "super sunfish rig" would substantially increase the boats performance. Why is the laser rated as so much faster and efficient, compared to the sunfish and super sunfish?

it has to do with original design and updating over the years.
Currently:
Laser 91.1
Sunfish 99.6
Super Sunfish 100.7

Back in the late 1970's when the Supper and Laser were new the ratings were IIRC
Laser 92.3
Sunfish 108.0
Super Sunfish 100.7

So the Laser started out with a better design/sail/rigging and has improved some but not much with rigging changes like a 12 to 1 vang, but basically keeping to the original one design.

The Sunfish has went through multiple changes since then, just some being the new plastic better designed dagger board, the slightly larger better designed racing sail, allowing adjustable outhaul and cunningham, adjustable gooseneck, sliding wire traveler.

The Super Sunfish was an improvement on the then Sunfish, by replacing the lateen sail rigging with your everyday rig with a cockpit mounted traveler, BUT since they were only produced for IIRC 3 years and no development the Sunfish has actually passed the Super in speed. To sail a Super with the plastic daggerboard is not allowed for racing in one design or variety handicap classes.

Thanks for the info mike. But what if the super and the sunfish rigs were used on identical boats, other than their rigs. Same hull, blades, etc... In that case would the super be significantly faster? I would rig it with an outhaul, downhaul, and vang. Because I plan on making the rig (my uncle is an accomplished sailmaker) I might use something like a mylar laminate, and make it a little bigger than the standard super rig (maybe 70 sq feet) My goal is to be able to compete with my friends old laser.

i was originally going to say not to try and build some sort of SS rig. But the more I think about it, the more fun I think you will have. The major hard part is going to be coming up with a mast - if you can get hold of an exisiting SS mast at least you will have a nice jumpstart. Your relative could build you a sail that would be superior to the old SS ones, and you could possibly replace the SS upper section with part of a windsurfer mast to get more height, and if you need to use a longer boom than an SS used. The SS had a centerboard pretty similar to the plastic racing board of today, except it was wood. The boat also had a vang, downhaul and adjustable outhaul. I think you will have a lot of fun and learn a lot if you go ahead with this. BB

beldar,
I have a small amount of experience welding aluminum, and a source of anodized aluminum tubing. I would make a two peice mast that could be taken apart. I have done some work making jibs for my dads boat, but have never worked with mylar laminates, that would be another learning experience. I made my daggerboard, as well as my rudder, out of mahogany, when I was ten. It may be time for an upgrade. This time I plan on using glass. Carbon fiber is pricy and probably unnecessary. Though the blades work fine, I took very few measurements off of a real sunfish, other than the basic shape. All of the feathering I did by eye with a handplane-maybe not super accurate. They look nice though.

Back