Making a Sunfish Wind Indicator

wjejr

Hi everyone,

I made a wind indicator for my Sunfish a while ago and have been very happy with it. I thought I would share it here with the hope that someone finds it useful.

The design is similar in concept to the "coat hangar" model, but uses a flat piece of stainless steel which I think makes it more stable on the upper boom and also more durable. That piece of stainless is readily available for free, but I will let the readers guess its origin and reveal the answer in a couple of days.

You will notice in the design that the end of the arms turn down which mostly prevents the wool from getting hung up on the arm. Something it likes to do. The wind indicator is held to the boom by two sided velcro, so it can be easily attached and removed at the end.

I started writing descriptions for each picture, but I stopped as I think you can figure it out just by looking. There are more than 30 photos, so I will make a few posts.

If there are any questions please let me know.

01 - Wind indicator.JPG

Measuring and bending the stainless steel to fit the boom. The steel was 21" long and the middle therefore 10 1/2". I don't think plus or minus a couple of inches in length will make that much difference. #02

I then bent it over successive pipes, tubes and dowels, largest to smallest to get a bend that was about the same diameter as the boom. #03 - #06

Attachments

• 02 - Find middle & mark.JPG
    02 - Find middle & mark.JPG
    908.9 KB · Views: 148
  • 03 - Bend #1.JPG
    03 - Bend #1.JPG
    580.1 KB · Views: 128
  • 04 - Bend #2.JPG
    04 - Bend #2.JPG
    503 KB · Views: 107
  • 05 - Bend #3b.JPG
    05 - Bend #3b.JPG
    459.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 06 - Bend #4.JPG
    06 - Bend #4.JPG
    466.8 KB · Views: 131
Last edited:
Once you have the bend correct then you need to introduce two other bends to start the arms. In my base the arms were 8 3/4" but it will depend on how long the stainless strip is to begin with. #07 - #09. Have a look at #09 first, and it will make more sense. I used a hand vice held in another vice that has "soft" jaws. I did this so I could get sharper bends.

Attachments

• 07 - Mark bend around mast 1.JPG
    07 - Mark bend around mast 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
  • 07 - Mark end around mast 2.JPG
    07 - Mark end around mast 2.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 117
  • 08 - Make bend 1.JPG
    08 - Make bend 1.JPG
    458.6 KB · Views: 117
  • 09 - Make bend 2.JPG
    09 - Make bend 2.JPG
    909.2 KB · Views: 115
The next series show #10 - #11b the twist. The reason you need to do this is so that you can bend down the ends.

Attachments

• 10 - Twist bend start.JPG
    10 - Twist bend start.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 104
  • 11a - Twist bend twist.JPG
    11a - Twist bend twist.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 114
  • 11b - Twist bend finish.JPG
    11b - Twist bend finish.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 105
Once the twist has been made you can bend down the arms. Again the arms are bent down so that the woollies don't wrap themselves around the arms and also to allow them to hang straight down. I put the end of each arm and then bent it down.

Attachments

• 12 - Measure bend down.JPG
    12 - Measure bend down.JPG
    601.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 13 - Bend down start.JPG
    13 - Bend down start.JPG
    494.4 KB · Views: 99
  • 14 - Bend down complete.JPG
    14 - Bend down complete.JPG
    467 KB · Views: 111
With any luck, here is what it should look like.

Attachments

• 15 - What it should look like.JPG
    15 - What it should look like.JPG
    772.5 KB · Views: 119
Now for the velcro strap. I started with a 1" wide 9" long piece of double sided velcro tape. I bought a roll of it from McMaster Carr in case you have trouble finding it. I then marked the tape starting 1 3/4" from the end and then every one inch after that for the next five inches. When you are done you should have six marks. I used a punch to create a hole at each mark. I think the holes are about 1/4"

Attachments

• 17 IMG_1614.JPG
    17 IMG_1614.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 113
  • 18 IMG_1617.JPG
    18 IMG_1617.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 106
  • 19IMG_1615.JPG
    19IMG_1615.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 113
  • 20 IMG_1619.JPG
    20 IMG_1619.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 111
I then cut a ~1/4" strip at the unmarked end. (i.e. not the end where I first marked) The strip is cut to the last of the six holes, which leaves you with a nice round end to the cut out.

I will post the rest of the story tomorrow.

Attachments

• 21 IMG_1620.JPG
    21 IMG_1620.JPG
    1,010.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 22 IMG_1621.JPG
    22 IMG_1621.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 111
Hi everyone, I made a wind indicator for my Sunfish a while ago and have been very happy with it. I thought I would share it here with the hope that someone finds it useful. The design is similar in concept to the "coat hangar" model, but uses a flat piece of stainless steel which I think makes it more stable on the upper boom and also more durable. That piece of stainless is readily available for free, but I will let the readers guess its origin and reveal the answer in a couple of days. You will notice in the design that the end of the arms turn down which mostly prevents the wool from getting hung up on the arm. Something it likes to do. The wind indicator is held to the boom by two sided velcro, so it can be easily attached and removed at the end. I started writing descriptions for each picture, but I stopped as I think you can figure it out just by looking. There are more than 30 photos, so I will make a few posts. If there are any questions please let me know.
I know...;)
W--- T-----

But have coded the above to keep everyone thinking. :cool:

Hello again. The story continues with threading the stainless through the holes just punched (#23). #24 shows the threading completed.

Attachments

• 23 IMG_1622.JPG
    23 IMG_1622.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 108
  • 24 IMG_1627.JPG
    24 IMG_1627.JPG
    835.3 KB · Views: 112
The last thing to do is attach the woollies to the arms. I made mine 8" which is about as long as possible without the wool being able to reach the velcro. I used white rigging tabe, but any electrical or rigging tape will work. #25 - #28

Attachments

• 25 IMG_1628.JPG
    25 IMG_1628.JPG
    802 KB · Views: 104
  • 26 IMG_1629.JPG
    26 IMG_1629.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 100
  • 27 IMG_1631.JPG
    27 IMG_1631.JPG
    954.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 28 IMG_1632.JPG
    28 IMG_1632.JPG
    781.9 KB · Views: 136
Last thing to do is attach it to the boom. I try to mount it at about eye level so I can always see it, even if I am not consciously looking at it. Note the piece of anti-skid tape on the boom. I don't think it matters much, but I had a piece lying around, so I stuck it on with the idea that the indicator wouldn't move around.

Attachments

• 30 IMG_1646.JPG
    30 IMG_1646.JPG
    763.7 KB · Views: 145
  • 31 IMG_1647.JPG
    31 IMG_1647.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 138
So here it is with sail up. #32

A few other things worth mentioning:

1. As shown I put the indicator on before raising the sail. The stainless is durable enough that it doesn't get bent, but it usually does twist which brings me to the next point.
2. Pretty self-explanatory, but don't forget to align the indicator so that the keel line bisects the angle between the two arms or in other words so the arms stick out equally to port and starboard.
3. Then, bend the arms so that they roughly represent the tacking angle you can normally achieve. (you should only have to do this once)

Once you are sailing it's now a simple matter to not only tell the apparent wind direction, but also whether you are pinching or footing when going upwind.

I usually sail on a small lake with shifts of 20 degrees or more normal and, especially in lighter air, this indicator really helps me tune into those shifts faster when going upwind. On runs it lets me know when I am dead down or by-the-lee

I'll post the origin of the stainless strip this weekend.

33 All done.JPG

Attachments

• 32 IMG_1648.JPG
    32 IMG_1648.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
Once you are sailing it's now a simple matter to not only tell the apparent wind direction, but also whether you are pinching or footing when going upwind.

I usually sail on a small lake with shifts of 20 degrees or more normal and, especially in lighter air, this indicator really helps me tune into those shifts faster when going upwind. On runs it lets me know when I am dead down or by-the-lee

I'll post the origin of the stainless strip this weekend.

• You have an SUV? ;)

• I'd be tempted to use plastic cable-ties (zip-ties). About one penny each, they can be cut and removed after sailing. They'd be secured by tightening the two forward corners of the strip together at the attachment point.

Reactions: tag
The source of the stainless strip, drum roll please...

It is the strip from a windshield wiper for my old 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Congratulations Charles Howard!!

Funny thing is, the last wiper blade I had didn't have one wide strip but instead had two thinner strips. Not sure if that was an aberration or not.

Good luck everyone and happy sailing!

Reactions: tag
OK, this is wicked brilliant! No other home brew solution has ever appealed to me, but this is elegant, slick, and sturdy. Well done, good and faithful servant!

I was guessing maybe some type of welding or brazing rod, and concerned about weight. Yours is far better, strong but lighter. I will be building one ASAP.

I just built two of these, and your photos and step by step instructions made it easy. Thank you, gonna test it out in SW Regionals next weekend.

Back