Mainsheet/Traveller Blocks

Braecrest

Now as we all know, these two blocks, with their sister clips can be a pain in the rear. If you tape them together at the sister clips, they are far more likely to get caught on the transom during jibes. However if you don’t tape them, they like to come undone at the least opportune moments. So the question remains, tape or not?

Personally I tape mine up with shrink tube and a heat gun and keep it from getting caught on the transom but just handling the boom over during a jibe. But I was wondering what everybody else out there was doing.

I tape them, and use the "tug on the mainsheet right as the boom comes across" technique to prevent transom hangups.

I never knew the tape was part of the hangup problem. How does it make things worse? Perhaps there's a solution to the "coming apart" problem that doesn't make the "hangup problem" worse.

Also, while we're on the topic of "Mainsheet/Traveler Blocks", does anybody else find it strange that we're allowed to use most any commercially available block everyplace except for the mainsheet and traveller blocks? What's with that? I relatively new to the Laser class, and I was wondering if there are any plans afoot to reword the rules about mainsheet blocks to be more like the cunningham/vang/outhaul rules?

Cheers,

Geoff Sobering

As to the tape adding to the transom hang up problem, I noticed that when I was coaching my brother downwind one day. In light breeze the taped traveller blocks will lay in such a way, towards the transom that invites a hang-up. In ten jibes without using the "tug-on-the-sheet" method, the mainsheet got caught seven times. Granted that was in light air.

As to the use of almost any blocks anywhere except for the mainsheet and the traveller, the class handbook states;

(c) Mainsheet
i. The mainsheet shall be a single line, and be attached to the becket of the aft boom block, then
passed through the traveller block, the aft boom block, boom eye strap, forward boom block
and the mainsheet block...

iii. The mainsheet block may be replaced by any type of single block with or without an internal
or attached jamming device, and mounted in the position shown on the measurement
diagram. The block my be supported by a spring, ball, plastic tube, or tape.

Other then that there is no mention as to what type of blocks the forward boom block, aft boom block, and traveller block have to be. But I have never had any trouble or complaints with these blocks other then this whole sister clip thing.

And I also feel that changing these blocks affects the boat very little and opening them up to options would go against the strick one-design rules that keeps the Laser going strong after more then three decades. The more things we let be changed the closer we get to the fate of other classes that have gone by the wayside. There are other boats out there that are faster and sleaker (well ok only a few) but their class associations aren't nearly as strong as ours is. And it is because of this class and our strick rules on modifications to the design and rig that we are strong and remain the true test of a sailor.

(sorry for going off on a tangent)

> (sorry for going off on a tangent)

No apologies required; I don't think it's a tangent, more a discussion about the boat and the class - specifically the mainsheet control system.

When I made my original comment, I was thinking that the effect of the mainsheet blocks on boat performance is much like the effect of cunningham, outhaul, and vang fittings. If that were the case, then allowing the substitution of more modern blocks for the Holts would allow sailors to build a more freely running mainsheet system using components from any of the boating hardware suppliers, just like the we're allowed to do with the other control lines.

However, on further refection I realized the traveler and aft-boom mainsheet blocks control one of the most crucial sail-trim dimensions on the boat: the minimum height of the boom off the deck (i.e. when sheeted block-to-block). Without some tricky new measurements to control that dimension independent of the specific blocks, I'm certain we would see a race to find the most closely spaced set of blocks that would still run freely ("how low can you go?"), and probably a push to stupid-small diameter mainsheets.

It still irks me that in this age of block technology like the Harken Carbo Airblocks (inexpensive, light, strong, and free-running) that we're forced to pull the mainsheet through a bunch of ancient bearing-less blocks, but the fix seems like a more complex problem than I originally thought it was. I would guess the technical committee has given this issue some consideration.

A true aside (nothing to do with the mainsheet): IMO, as a class we need to be a bit reticent about touting the purity of our "one-design-ness". Things have improved quite a bit in the past few years, but it wasn't that many years ago that top level competitors would visit numerous dealers looking for the lightest hull. It wasn't long ago (months), I saw adds for the Radial Mk5 sail, reminding sailors who liked them that they should consider stocking up as the Mk6 is somewhat different. Basically, controlling a one-design sailboat class is nearly impossible. As Braecrest notes, the Laser Class seems to do a better job than most (all?) other classes, but it's a tough job.

Cheers,

Geoff S.

As Geoff mentioned one of the main problems seems to be the control of the class design and the class measurements, and in this respect we are caught between a rock and a hard place.

On one hand we as a class could license the production of every aspect of the boat and rig to just a few companies to insure a strict one design, but this has the dis-advantage that each of these compaines would have a vitual monopoly on the Laser market, driving up prices and making it more expensive to sail and race Lasers. This would also deter new recruits from our ranks. Because who would honeslty want to sail a small boat where you would have to pay out the nose?

The other option is to allow anybody to produce parts for the rig and hull so long as they meet certain guildlines (measurements) as established by our class rules. But this situation would become a free-for-all to get the best and latest advantage, rigs and sails would become obsolete long before their useful life had run out. This choice is also no good, because we would lose our true "One-design" class.

So all told I feel that our class does a damned good job of avoiding the two extremes and maintaining design integerty. Promoting fair sailing at all levels, from old hulls given a second (or third) owner, to the brand new hulls on charter for big events. My heartfelt thanks goes out to the Class Association and the designer Bruce Kirby. Here's to the Laser Class!

I've never taped my traveller blocks, Glenn. With years of use, the sister clips tangle infrequently. I use the "tug-on-the-sheet" method during jibes.

I have been sailing a Laser for about 18 months and from day one I taped the two blocks because I was told to do so. After reading this post I thought it would be worth seeing what would happen if I took the tape off. So this Sunday I went out for the first time ever without tape. It was quite windy and very gusty.
I found that every time I gybed the two blocks performed every combination of acrobatics possible. Their two favourites were:
1. the small (lower) block twisting through 90 degrees and locking onto the line that runs across the back deck.
Or more disastrously 2. the two blocks got into a knot and locked the main sheet.
After about 10 minutes I came in and put the tape back.
Phil

If find this happens too when not enough tape is put on. Sometimes I've tacked and the blocks are in an "L" shape and will not slide so I always end up putting more on. Also on Annapolis Performance Sailing I've seen the shrink wrap tubing which, literally, using a heat gun shrink wrap the foam like tubing around it. I've never heard of any reviews....but it's still worth a try at I believe something like $1.70 for two sets of traveler blocks worth.

I agree. New blocks are probabley a direction the class should be going. Restrict the choices to Harken XXX or Ronstan XXX or Nautos XXX etc. We have finally made the rig easier to tune with the current set up. There is talk about Carbon top sections (at least in the Radial) and no discussion on something as simple as main sheet block?

Until then tape and practice practice practice... It's all about timing really...

Steve McBride

Back