Mainsheet keeps coming loose from bridle

Rob C.

How do you guys attach the mainsheet to the bridle on your Sunfish. Mine is a 1978 with a three loop bridle and the mainsheet will occasionally come loose when coming about which is very annoying. I am currently using one of these to attach it. http://www.intensitysails.com/ststspgasnho.html

Just wondering if there are any better gate hooks out there, or should I just get rid of the three loop bridle and and the hook and tie it on with a bowline?

I'm having the same problem. I just got a "snap trigger" hook with a swivel and I hope using it instead of the "quick" hook clip, which has no swivel, will solve the problem. I'm thinking the swivel part helps a lot - I will find out this weekend.

With a three loop bridle, the simplest solution is to cut the hook off, stick the sheet thru the middle eye, and tie a figure 8 knot.

If you have a two loop bridle, you should still get rid of the clip, but you will need to know how to tie a bowline!

BB

They sell the brass hooks used on the original Sunfish at Lowes, Ace Hardware, etc. They even sometimes have stainless ones. You could replace what you have with a new one or as suggested just tie it off.

I guess the line having no relief from twisting (such as a swivel), when a bowline is used, does not cause any problems? I'd also think the bridle would cut the bowline loop after a long while - or at least cause a wear spot in that part of the mainsheet... but I guess not.

I'll try the figure eight knot next time BB, thanks.

Sometimes I forget the differences between a Phantom and a Sunfish. The Phantom doesn't really have a bridle. I would consider it a traveler. It consists of a piece of line with a plastic ring. I tie the mainsheet to the ring with a bowline and the ring slides on the line. No wear on the mainsheet.

Back