Mainsheet blocks

altair

Does anyone have a picture of the deck mounted mainsheet blocks? I am trying to figure out the best location, height etc. This summer I am going to install them for the first time.

I think you mean cleats not blocks. As a word description cleats are mounted on the deck in an area that allows their through bolting into the area of the deck that is exposed to the cockpit opening. In line with center mounted block.
Either cam or clam cleats can be used.
One problem is the height of the center block is such that flat cleats of either type are at an "angle" to the main sheet coming from the block. That angle will tend to make sheeting the mainsheet difficult and the shet will tend to pull out of the cleat.
Angle mounting blocks are available for either type of cleat to angle then up to match the angle of the mainsheet.

Harken make an excellent item called a swivel cleat. It's about $30.00 if memory serves me but worth every penny! It is the first and best upgrade every Sunfish should have!

Actually skip the swivel cleat arrangement. It's OK for day sailing in light winds but once the wind comes up it's a recipe for dunking. The cleat being in the middle of the boat doesn't allow for enough of an angle to release it in heavy air where you have to hike out.
Even uncleated it's easy to have it cleat again because of the angle that your arm is capable of in relation to the cleat.

Good point, But I've never had a problem with it I use the snap it method!.While the sheet is cleated, The end in my hand is loose enough to give it a quick upward snap to release, The only time I ever dumped her in a race was while Jibing

One other solution for tired hands in heavy air is wrap the sheet halfway around your knee to give your hand a rest. I can hold the sheet with two fingers this way in 15+ kts. Wearing knee sleeves/pads makes this easier. "Uncleating" is as easy as straightening your leg.

When in a steady wind and/or on a steady course, it's nice to be able to let go of the sheet and enjoy the ride!

Back