Mainsheet block

chrisfsi

Checking over my mainsheet block, it's an old Holt-Allen, non ratchet type. Is there a benefit in replacing with a ratchet block, and if so, do you leave the ratchet on all the way round the course, or flick it off for the downwind legs?

Thanks...

ratchet is the way to go.

I leave mine on all around the course. When downwind, I usually am playing the mainsheet above the block anyway, so that doesn't matter)

In light air, on a run, I might turn it off if I am close to other sailors. Not so they know I'm trimming, but I'd just rather they not even pay attention at all.

Howdy Chris,
Here is my opinion, the best rachet block out on the market is the Ronstan rachet block RF62100, It has great feel and provides me with more holding power then the two blocks listed below.
Harken makes the H019 and Ronstan also has the RF1720. I haven't had any experience with the automatic rachet blocks, anyone wish to comment on them?
In summation, a rachet block is a major asset especially in heavy air, you can get away without it in drifter and light wind conditions.
Here's a link that shows all three and a couple of more that might work well also. http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e246.asp

Fishingmickey
150087/181157

I have used the ronstan automatic ratchet block, I forgot what it is called. I like it a lot and did not have any problems with it. In principle I don't like it when something else decides when to turn on or off (instead of me, I mean)but it can be adjusted and it runs great. Especially the big ease at the windward mark is great!
Oh, yes, to answer your question, you defintely want a ratchet! It is so much easier and takes away most of the pressure on the sheet, so that your body can concentrate on hiking well.
GWF

The ratchet is huge. i was curious about its holding power so in drifter conditions while we were sitting ther looking for wind to race i 2 blocked it with the ratchet on and then i tok it off. the holding power of the ratchet is huge and definatly worth it. On the subject of automatic blocks i dont know about the ronstan but i have heard that the harken ones aren't good at all and that they break. For example a freind of mine (Pressuredropbg) had one and he took it out for one club race and it broke after 1 race. I have also heard from others that they fall apart.

Never broke harken ratchet on a laser. In fact, in the early nineties, we used them on a J-24 for the spinnaker sheets. I don't know the rating of the blocks but there were times when three big guys couldn't budge the guy and the block did its job.
I have noticed that after a few years of use, the slide thing has to be absolutely pushed to the top of the distance it can be moved or it does not ratchet ( just lets go like a regular pulley)
My solution has been to take the tired block off the boat when it becomes finiky like that.
I have saved those blocks and given them, with warning, to friends who forgot their blocks. " I have an old spare. It works but it is about to quit ratcheting. I am too cheap to throw it away. You can not only mooch it but you can keep it."

Thanks guys, very useful, looks like it's clear I need a ratchet! I guess I'm still slightly curious as to how it doesn't impede the mainsheet dump when you round the windward mark, but I suppose as everybody seems to use them it can't be a problem. Will be very curious to see how that works out..

chrisfsi said:
I'm still slightly curious as to how it doesn't impede the mainsheet dump when you round the windward mark,

I turn mine off just before rounding. It is one more thing to remember to do, but it's worth it for me. It's too hard on my hands to keep the sheet pulled in to where I want it, when there's wind above 8 mph, to do without it. It really helps to fight fatigue in your hands and arms to have that ratchet on.

Merrily

OK, latest: It turns out that my block IS a ratchet, a HOLT 4621F autoratchet. Only it's never exhibited any ratcheting activity on the water..:(
I had a suspicion that this may be due to it being salted up (being a sea sailor), so gave it a good soaking in clear water. Then to test, put a loop through the shackle and round my foot - to give me something to pull against - and tried pulling on a short length of line through the block itself. Lo and behold, it started to display some ratchet bahaviour, but VERY intermittently, and not consistent in either coming on or going off..

At time I'm pulling with all my strength against it and it runs free in either direction - other times the ratchet seems to stay on even when I let off all the pressure.

So, from those of you with autoratchet experience, what should I be expecting? The blurb on the Holt block talkes about "smooth transition from clear to ratchet", but that it most certainly isn't. I would expect it to run freely with no/little pressure, and then to ratchet consistently once you started applying pressure. Is that correct?

Or is it just knackered? I guess it's at least 3 years old - I bought the boat 2 years ago...

Thanks

Chris

I don't know this specific block, but most autoratchets have the possibility to adjust the tension that is needed to start the ratchet. Is there a little screw somewhere on the block? Or does it have some other mechanism? Those might be used to adjust when the ratchet will kick in. Try to play around with it and see if you can get it to work. Then try to sail with it and see what happens. Yours might be bound for the dumpsters.
GWF

Back