Main sheet cleat

barney1

I am looking to install a cleat to tie up the main sheet during down time. it will be in the front of the cockpit. Do I need to use anchors or will the screws hold without. Thanks for your response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you clarify what you mean by "downtime"? When the sail is down? When you are down? I have sailed a lot and while underway I don't believe I have ever had" downtime" so some clarification would help.You might also use the search box and look for "mainsheet cleat".

If you mount the mainsheet cleat in the area between the forward cockpit lip and the aft side of the daggerboard trunk, you will need stainless steel machine screws with washers and lock nuts. There is a lot of "up" force and self tapping screws will pull out over time

By the say, I have such a cleat for sale at $30 + shipping, See my ad in the For Sale section of the Forum under "Vintage Hardware" for sale This is a so-called "rolling gear" cleat that was factory from Sunfish for years.

Alan Glos
Cazenovia, NY

I like to install a Harken H150 cam cleat on the cockpit lip. Easy to access for installing fasteners.
img0187_070.jpg

Cleating your sail while at the dock or on shore is not a good idea. If there is much breeze there is a about a 90% chance the boat will get blown over if you cleat the sail. If the boat is on land, you should just leave the main uncleated and point the bow into the wind to minimize how much the sail blows around. If tied to a dock, tie up the the leeward side and the boat will automatically point into the wind.

What sort of problem are you having with the sail while on land or tied up?

Back