main sheet block-which one

calicosine

i'm going to replace my old ratchitng main block today, any thoughts on wich to use{harken or ronstan} what size 40 or 57?does either work better than the other, price is about the same($62.00 here in seattle at west marine) which one comes on the new pro setups? has anyone tried the newmar blocks?or the schaefers?

Have you searched thru the prev threads here ? We've had a number of discussions about rachets. The Harken Little Hexarachet (HO19) is the standard on the Pro model

yep, i went through all the old posts this morning and i ended up buying the ronstan rf62100 series 60 rachet, i couldnt find the harken little hexrachet h019 but the catalog at west marine says this one is a "good choice for lasers"should be for 62.00. i guess we'll see. my old block was 26 years old and yesterday it just seized up and wouldnt turn, oh well.

Hey Calicosine,
I've got that same block and it is da Block! (in my humble opinion) much better holding power and very smooth.
Fishingmickey
150087/181157

hey fishingmickey......of all the ones i checked out by actually holding them the ronstan one just felt better and seemed to run smoother,the newmar one felt cheap and didn't run smooth(very noisy) and the harken one seemed to have too much plastic, plus from what i've read on the forum they don't seem to be as well liked as the ronstans,we'll see tomorrow when i take it out for a test run........sail on.................terry

One of the last hints drLaser gave in Fall 2004 was: "Ronstan" RF 62100. With the Polilite-sheet of Roostersailing there is some wearing at the sheet if the block and the sheet are new, but aft some time of use the wearing stops and the Polilite and the RF 62100 work perfect together.
Ciao
LooserLu

Back