Luff tension & Adjustments

I know the question is on the sail's position, but another tactic is to (per the book's title) "SAIL IT FLAT". Let the boat tilt to leeward to sail on the "flat" of the hull and relieve the "plowing" effect caused by so much surface area in the water. I am a 210 lb sailor, yes that's when I am dry:rolleyes:, and sailing on the flat does improve my abiltiy to make up speed.

I would say the main difference here is not luff tension at all. It is mainsheet tension. The boat behind is overtrimmed. The sail is completely choked for light conditions like that. That will make you go slow and point low.

Though I wouldn't say that the boat in front is in optimal sailing form at all, the mainsheet tension looks much better. Look at the distance from the bridle to the boom on the mainsheet of each boat, and you will see what I mean.

made a few adjustments and sailed again today. Loosened up the outhaul a smidge(about1"-1-1/2") loosened up on the luff a bit too. about 1 inch max. it seemes to make a difference, but hard to judge sailing by myself.....
thanks all who have input I appreciate it. How about the gooseneck measurement?? Does anyone have good ideas??

Back