Lowering mast on Capri 14.2

SoCalSailing

Getting ready to purchase a 14.2. Stepping the mast seems doable, but not sure about lowering the mast. What techniques do 14.2 owners out there use?

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking it might be that easy, but don't have my little boat in hand yet, so haven't tried it yet. Just trying to anticpate any problems.

I would say the trickiest thing for me is to get the boom set up without a topping lift. No idea if your boat has one, but I need rig something up to help single handed rigging.

Haven't picked up my boat yet, but I will need to check that out when I do. I can see how this would be an issue when rigging solo.

I would say the trickiest thing for me is to get the boom set up without a topping lift. No idea if your boat has one, but I need rig something up to help single handed rigging.
Get a boom kicker. I had one on my 14.2 and it was a big improvement. I now have an Expo 14.2 which is better yet.

Walking the mast down isn’t difficult. The slot in the bracket and bolt at the bottom of the mast give the right amount of play and stability. Up is the challenge when single-handing. Keeping forward tension on the forestay while clipping into the bow bracket is the hardest part. I built a crutch that mounts onto the rudder brackets that helps by giving an easy place to rest the mast on the way down, and give me a head start on the way up. It also keeps the mast up off the cockpit when on the trailer.
10529BAA-94D5-458E-A0FE-78D37CE1D2CD.jpeg
3608E9F6-A579-4EA7-9F40-FC951F46CC51.jpeg

Good points and good idea. I was thinking of using a hand winch attached to the trailer to crank it up or down. I know many taller people can raise and lower the mast with no issue, but i'm on the shorter side. Thanks again for your reply. Very helpful!

I use a crutch similar to what's shown here. Now for the tricky part of walking up the mast here's my technique:
**Lower front of trailer so the boat's tilting forward as much as possible.
**If it's windy, be sure boat's pointed directly downwind.
**Move forestay pin to the loosest setting. This makes it easy to temporarily secure once you got the mast up.
**Be extra sure that the shrouds are all clear for the lift. Nothing worse than being about 1/3 of the way up and one of them snags on something, causing a possible hairy situation.
**Remove bottom clevis pin and retainer ring and hold them between your lips. Sounds gross, but they're probably cleaner than a lot of things we put in our mouths!
**Walk up the mast, keeping the forestay free and easy to reach once you're up.
**Secure forestay to deck.
**Attach jib halyard to somewhere on your trailer winch. Put MODERATE pressure on line and cleat off.
**By doing that you will have the luxury of being able to re-set your pin to the correct tension for rigging.

To lower mast you simply reverse the procedure. Now as a reletively strong 69 year old guy I have no issues handling the Capri. It's about the largest boat I would want to use 100% singlehanded. The mast is pretty light and the slotted mast step is key. We have a few Rebel 16's in our harbor, and those things are a nightmare to step/lower! Also look back at my posts, you'll see lots of pics showing the many things I did with my Capri to make it into a mini yacht. 6 years ago I grabbed it for $1200, put a bunch of time and $$ into her to make something special!

PS #1: Regarding the need for a topping lift, check out my post showing the "boomkicker" you can add. Totally solves the problem.
PS #2: Also just to re-state, there's a Capri sitting in my harbor in DesPlaines, Il. the owner just dropped the price. It's an orphan just looking for a nice home! Anybody interested, let me know.

Cheers!

Picked up my boat a few days ago. I think I will getting a boom kicker. Not too expensive and easy enough to install.

Back