lower backs and lasers

kriss

do folks with lower back issues sailing lasers have back issues due to the hiking,sitting position,etc.?

It depends.

Nearly everyone ends up going to a doctor for "low back pain" at some point in their lives. I certainly have. If you get on a program of stretching and strengthening, build up strength in your quads and flexibility in your hamstrings, and come back to laser sailing recovered and strengthened, then no, no problemo.

The mantra here is "get in shape to go sailing" don't "sail to get in shape."

If you've previously done some kind of trauma to your back, then I'd consult with your doctor and physical therapist, rather than this message board.

Having gone to an exc PTist for lower back issues, besides what's been mentioned here already it is really important to strengthen abdominal muscles. Many lower back problems begin with weak abs + tight hamstrings, glutes, & hip flexors. Stretching these should be part of any training program (according to my PTist).

If you having lower back issues, the problem is strength.

One of, if not the best way to strengthen your posterior chain is with the dead lift.

As I mentioned above, it will strengthen your whole posterior chain. What is the posterior chain, you ask? Well, it's this:

Abs, hamstrings, lower back, grip strength...Everything.

This exercise transfers over into everyday life like no other. It's picking something up. We do that, a lot.

It's crucial that the deadlift is done properly, or else you will injure your lower back. Not if, but when.

Deadlifts are not meant to be done in high reps. It's about building strength. Five sets of five, progressing in a linear fashion, is as good starting point.

I'll use these numbers for example purposes:

135x5
145x5
155x5
165x5
175x5

Here's a good video that shows proper technique and teaches how it's done:

The deadlift is also great for helping with posture issues.
object%3E

I have scoliosis of the spine and have had constant back trouble my whole life. Since I have been really getting into my Laser (on the water every chance I can get) its been better than its ever been.

The constant movement and streching is a fantastic low impact way of developing the muscles that support your back. When I first started the Laser I couldnt be on the water for more than half an hour. Now I go out all day and go hard (sorta).

People say that it's bad for your back and im sure if you spent 25 hours plus on the water a week (which is what the top guys do) then over time it might be. As far as Im concerned if you have back trouble and are a club racer then it will do your whole body a world of good.

Re: Lower back issues

Unless you already have a lower back issue, just get a launching dolly and trailer set-up that makes it unecessary to lift the boat (or trailer) when rigging, lanching, retrieving and loading up at the end of the day.

Sailing doesn't cause bad backs, but lifting boats can

Back in the late 80's early 90's laser sailors would have back problems when they used the, (at the time legal) weight jackets to help hold the boat down. Their bodies were not conditioned to hold the extra upper body weight and it put strains on their lower backs. Several younger sailors screwed their back up with the jackets.

Back in the late 80's early 90's laser sailors would have back problems when they used the, (at the time legal) weight jackets to help hold the boat down. Their bodies were not conditioned to hold the extra upper body weight and it put strains on their lower backs. Several younger sailors screwed their back up with the jackets.

Should have done their deadlifts.

I don't think that hiking will do anything to your back, more just your legs and knees, but crouching down up near the mast on a windless day might do something. I think the best advice you could get would be from a doctor or physio that knows something about what laser sailing is about.

I don't think that hiking will do anything to your back, more just your legs and knees, but crouching down up near the mast on a windless day might do something. I think the best advice you could get would be from a doctor or physio that knows something about what laser sailing is about.

Actually, your lower back can suffer from hiking. This about it, and it's quite simple: If you have weak abdominal muscles, what is supporting your upper body when you're hiking? Your lower back. This is especially true if you are hiking properly, though I'm sure hiking improperly could also mangle your back.

I didn't know people actually crouched near the mast... I think at that point, there'd be an AP flying, or the race would get abandoned.

Do you think you're going to find a doctor or physio who knows something about laser sailing unless they, by chance, happen to do it?

It's pretty simple when you think about it...

I have had lower back trouble for years. I have only recently started sailing lasers and bought a pair of Queensport hiking shorts specifically for the built in lower back support system. These hikers have a belt similar to a weight lifting belt as part of the shorts. They are great, I haven't had any problems with my back while sailing. I am not as serious a sailor as some of the other guys here am not any where near as fit as I should be. I enjoy going racing at the weekend, normally finish mid fleet and in both heavy air and the light stuff I have never had a problem. I would strongly reccommend these shorts as well as some of the other suggestions above.

Back