Lost The Edge....

Krycek

Help!! I've been an avid laser sailor for about 5 or 6 years now. Never a top level guy, but definately a weekend warrior. However, a few weeks ago in my frostbite sailing I had a awful crash and burn. To the point where I couldnt get the boat righted and had to be towed home. Since then, Im definately not sailing as well as I did, nor being as aggressive. Today was a SW 10 to 15 and I just could got mentally get myself in the game.... I've stepped up my physical training and managing the boat wasnt an issue... I was just psyched out...

So, I'm wondering if this has happened to anyone else and the best way people have gotten back into the saddle. I'm hoping that continually hitting the water and summer, with the consequences of a dump are less severe, will get me back in the game... I love this sport and these boats, and simply put, this just sucks....

Don't give up! you lost your confidence, after a big crash you will probably be a little nervous to push the boat, its completely normal to feel that way

I've definitely had some rough capsizes, it happens

the best advice I can give you is to face your fear, don't miss a week just because its blowing 20kts, focus on the sailing, having fun and make a reasonable goal each week and try to achieve it, you'll be back on your game in no time

It is a confidence thing. I would say sail in winds you are comfy in and then gradually push the limit back up.

Also examine what went wrong to cause the big crash and burn. It could be a freak gust/freak wave which there was nothing you could have done about.

It could also be technique. Speak to the other guys you race against if technique may be the issue.

In my experience I have had a number of 'bad' capsizes when it is windy. I have even had to have been rescued a couple of times but that is part of the game. Things will not always go your way.

My advice for sailing in the breeze is to keep your eyes out of the boat so you can be prepared for the gusts/waves so you are not always having to react but you are anticipating what you need to do. Difficult when it is breezy and the things that will help are practice (be at one with your boat my son) and making sure your rigging works as you want it to.

Welcome to my world! I’m a 120 pound female that sails a full rig. Anything above 12 and I swear my boat changes personality like Jekyll and Hyde and I can almost hear its demonic laugh in between my occasional panic stricken shrieks.

Mr. P tells me the key is to make it fun again and often has to take me out for an evening of just horsing around and making friends with the boat again:

http://fleet20.blogspot.com/2010/05/wednesday-night-fun.html

However, I like to think my Laser has a personality of its own and if I don’t show it who is boss, it takes control. I’ve pushed through my intimidation at times and gotten mad and started cursing like a sailor and I swear the boat settled down and said ‘Now that’s what I’m talking about!’.

I watched the juniors recently at the Austin Easter Laser Regatta. They dominate their boats and they seem to be best friends with it as well. The wind died and we were floating around waiting for a race and they didn’t give their boats a minute’s rest. Some had them flipped over on their side and were perched on the centerboard, some turtled them and were sitting on the bottoms hanging out, some were standing on the sterns holding onto the main sheet trying to pop wheelies and a couple decided a centerboard made a great wakeboard but they were all showing every part of their boats just who is boss.

So go out, have some fun and kick that boat’s arse!

The first time I sailed a Laser I scared myself....then I thought I have got to get me one of these....

I have dallied with other boats in the interim period but have always found something about the Laser that draws me back.

As Mrs P said you need to get to the point where you sail the boat and not let it sail you.

Back